chapter 5 ➸ so you bought a prostitute to be your friend?

Lauren stood frozen. “What are you doing h—?!“

She was cut off when Camila practically climbed over the seat and grabbed her hand, tugging her into the Jeep. Camila instantly took off and Lauren scrambled to close the door behind her before she fell out of the car.

“What the hell?” Lauren raised her voice in shock. Camila was gripping the steering wheel tightly with clenched teeth. This what who had ‘bought’ her? Oh god, Camila?

“Camila, i-if you think I’m going t—“ Lauren started but Camila quickly shook her head.

“It’s not like that,” she said. She seemed to be out of breath, and Lauren could tell just how nervous she really was.

“I am not having sex with you, Camila, I—“

“I said it’s not like that!” Camila snapped, finally turning to face Lauren. Lauren could see her face now. She wasn’t wearing any makeup. Lauren realized just how naturally beautiful she was. “I-I just… I don’t know. I wanted to give you a night off.”

“That’s a lot of money,” Lauren swallowed hard. She couldn’t lie, though. She was relieved.

“Not for me.”

Both girls remained silent because they knew it was true.

“I just figured we could go out and do something… I was bored,” Camila bit her lip. This was the most nervous she’d felt in a while.

“So you bought a prostitute to be your friend?” Lauren smirked. Camila nearly choked on thin air and shook her head.

“Don’t call yourself that. You’re Lauren,” Camila took a deep breath. “I-I thought we could… I don’t know… call this a… a…”

Lauren noticed how nervous Camila was becoming and had to hold back a smile. “A what?”

“A date.” Camila blurted the words out and her face turned red immediately.

Her words shocked Lauren. But she couldn’t say she wasn’t pleasantly surprised. She’d never expected Camila to even look in her direction. Suddenly she realized she wasn’t the only nervous one.

“A… date?” Lauren repeated her words and Camila nodded hesitantly. Maybe she shouldn’t have asked. Maybe Lauren thought she was crazy for being into her. Oh god, what if the next big news story was about how Camila Cabello was attracted to girls – as told by the homeless prostitute she tried to take on a date.

“I-uh, okay,” Lauren swallowed. She suddenly was becoming aware of one tiny issue. “Uh… C-Camila?”

“Yeah?” Camila asked, biting her lip. Lauren hadn’t technically said no. That was a good thing, right?

“I want to, I do,” Lauren took a deep breath. “But I… I, uh, the only thing I’m wearing right now is this coat.”

Camila’s eyes widened and she looked at what Lauren had on. “What? Why?” she tried to stop the blood that was rushing to her face.

“I didn’t know that you… well, it just… gets the ‘job’ done quicker…” Lauren grew embarrassed and hoped she wouldn’t have to explain anything else to Camila. Luckily, the younger girl understood, feeling a pang of sadness that Lauren had to do what she did just to provide for herself.

Camila studied Lauren out of the corner of her eye. The darker haired girl was clearly embarrassed. No, wait. She looked… ashamed. Camila decided she wouldn’t push the subject that obviously made Lauren uncomfortable.

“Well then I guess we’re going to the mall first.”

Lauren looked up, knowing what Camila was hinting at. “No, you’re not. I’m not letting you buy me anything.”