chapter 4 ➸ getting to know you

“Are the paparazzi still following you?” Lauren asked as Camila pulled back onto the main road, scanning the buildings to find something they could get to eat.

Camila shook her head, glancing up in the rear view mirror for good measure. “We should’ve lost them by now, I assume.” She shrugged and looked back down at the road. She had to force herself to keep her eyes off of Lauren.

“So if you’re not who they think you are, how do they know your name?” Lauren asked, a knowing tone in her voice. She saw Camila tense but kept her question in the air, wanting to know just what exactly was going on.

“They think I’m Camila Cabello the superstar,” Camila sighed. “When I’m really just… Camila. Just Camila. Who likes to dance. And sing on the side.” She swallowed hard and made sure not to look at Lauren.

“So you are famous…?”

‘If you put it that way, yeah… I guess,” Camila shrugged.

“A famous… dancer?” Lauren asked, still slightly confused.

“Singer,” Camila corrected her.

“But you said dance, with singing on the side…”

“I-I… yeah. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love singing. But dance… I don’t know. I’m not good. I just like it because… it’s mine. I don’t have to share it. It doesn’t come with the paparazzi and the award shows and the public appearances. It’s just mine. I guess I like having something of my own,” Camila rambled, but quickly ended when she realized just how much she’d been talking. “Sorry… I just… really like it.”

Lauren giggled softly, loving how passionate the girl seemed. “No, no, I think it’s cool. Like Hannah Montana, kinda.” Both girls laughed.

“So like, if you’re a singer, do you have an album?”

Camila nodded. “Three.”

“Three albums?” Lauren was astonished.

“Yeah…” Camila didn’t understand why she felt so… embarrassed.

“Have you ever had anything go number one?”

Camila nodded.

“So you’re not like, a kinda-famous person. You’re like…. A huge celebrity.”

Camila crinkled her nose and shrugged. “I don’t know. What classifies a huge celebrity?”

“Like an award or something?” Lauren questioned.

“Do Grammys count?” Camila asked, tilting her head to the side.

Lauren’s eyes widened and she nodded quickly. “You have a Grammy?”

“Four.”

“Holy shit,” Lauren gasped. She saw Camila tense and realized something was bothering her. She should probably shut up.

“I can’t believe I didn’t know who you were…” Lauren bit her lip. “I don’t get out much, as you can tell.” She let out a nervous laugh.

“Have you ever heard the song ‘Ignite’?” Camila asked.

Lauren shook her head. “Why?”

“It was one of my songs,” Camila cringed at the memory. “It got a lot of attention cause’ it was super poppy and whatnot, I just figured you might recognize it,” she shrugged.

“You don’t look too happy.”

“I hated it. Still do. I never wanted to do ‘bubble gum pop’ sort of music,” Camila said with a shrug. Lauren pursed her lips in thought as they pulled onto a main road.