12. Whereabouts of His Left Arm

Start from the beginning

On the other side of Wall Rose, Connie was explaining everything to his friends.

"...and that's how we got ahold of some gas and got out of Trost." Connie sat, surrounded by his friends.

"You went through all that? I'm sorry..." Christa said sympathetically. "We kept volunteering to help supply you guys, but." Her shoulders slumped.

"We'd even managed to secure some gas, too," Ymir said.

"D-Does that mean everyone who isn't here is...?" Christa trailed off.

"Yeah."

"Even Mikasa?" Ymir was surprised.

"No," Connie said, "I'm pretty sure she came after us, with Jean and the rest."

"Jean," Ymir called out. He was sitting at a table with Annie, Reiner, and Bert. "Don't tell me Mikasa got hurt or something?"

"Hey, what's wrong?" Connie asked.

Jean took large sips from the waterskin and wiped his mouth with the sleeve of his arm.

"I can't tell you. We've been slapped with a confidentiality order."

"A confidentiality order?"

"What the hell?"

"There's no way it's staying under wraps though." Jean said, recalling the lift ride down the Wall, finding Garrison soldiers everywhere. "The news is gonna spread across humanity like wildfire. Assuming humanity lasts long enough, anyway."
.
.

Atop the Wall, Hannes looked down. A metal gate covered the hole, blocking the Titans' way. A large group had piled up against it.

"That's pretty smart of the Corps of Engineers, using the Titans themselves as a defensive wall of flesh. But we can't afford to let our guard down."

"After all, this is the front line between humanity and the Titans. We're at the edge of a cliff." Hannes then noticed his comrade's odd expression. "What's the matter?"

"Oh, no... Nothing's wrong with our mission. I'm just worried about my friends assigned to the vanguard. I just saw a messenger headed for HQ with a pale look on his face." His comrade replied.

"Yeah, but our only focus should be on fending them off, just as we were originally trained." Hannes replied.

"I heard you helped four children escape five years ago and that they're trainees now."

"Were they part of the vanguard, too?"

"Yes..."

"I apologize, sir. I shouldn't have brought it up."

"They're fine. They're tough kids," Hannes said, convinced. "They each have what it takes to survive," Hannes continued. "One's a proficient fighter, another one has immense inner strength,. another one is brave and the other is extremely intelligent. I know they're alright. They're alive for sure."
.
.

"Trainees Yeager siblings, Ackerman, and Arlert!" Weilman yelled. "Your present behavior is an act of high treason!"

"What do you have to say in defense?" Weilman demanded while Eren continued to be puzzled. "Should you try anything funny or attempt to move from where you are, we'll blast you to bits immediately and without hesitation! This is a direct question! What are you really?! Human?! Or Titan?!"

'What kind of question is that? What's with that look?! It's almost like they're looking at some kind of monster. Is that what they think of me?' Eren thought.

"I...I don't understand the question, sir!" Eren replied, a bit unsure.

"Playing innocent, huh?! Just try that again, monster!" Weilman pointed angrily. "We'll blast you into pieces in the blink of an eye before you can reveal your true form!"