43. Anastasia

Warning: 17+ content after third cut

~~~

"Oh- Your Highness," Ana glanced up at the sound of the voice, setting down the measuring cup when she realized it was Mary.

"Good morning, Mary," she greeted. "I hope you don't mind that I'm using the kitchen," she smiled at her.

The chef immediately shook her head, "No of course not." Ana didn't think she would (they had an entire other kitchen as well) but she just wanted to make sure. "But-," she paused for a second as her gaze flickered to the mixing bowl on the table, "What are you making so early?"

"It's not that early," the princess abruptly stopped as she looked at the oven's clock next to her only to see that it was barely after six in the morning. "At least I didn't think it was that early," she bit her lip sheepishly. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize the time when I woke up this morning."

She'd been completely giddy that morning, excited to actually be able to bake something for Mason (she never thought it would really ever happen). So she barely even bothered to put on proper attire before she left her room not even twenty minutes after she'd awoken. She'd lightly kissed Mason on the lips (which made him grunt adorably), adjusted the comforter to cover him a bit more, and then immediately started heading to the kitchen.

Ana eyed the bowl of dry ingredients in front of her ruefully, "I'm probably in your way, right?"

"Not at all," Ana sighed with relief, "I've been using the other kitchen this morning, I actually just needed that rubber spatula behind you. It's my favorite," the older woman winked.

The princess turned to grab said utensil from the wall, smiling when she realized it was the only kitchen tool that wasn't gray or black. "I can see why it's your favorite," she said as she handed it to the chef.

"You haven't even seen the best part," Mary suddenly turned the spatula so that they were looking at the handle and Ana giggled when she noticed the small cartoon sketch etched into the wood. "My daughter did this, you know."

"Give her my compliments then will you? It's lovely craftsmanship."

Mary grinned, "I'll be sure to tell her, your highness. I can't even imagine how excited she'll be to hear that you've seen her work."

Ana hadn't heard of any craftswoman in town before, which could either be because she was relatively new to the field or because she was female. The princess was all too aware of the sexism that could take place in work environments.

She desperately hoped it wasn't the latter.

"Well, I'll be going now then, Your Highness," Mary stepped back towards the entryway. "Let me know how it goes," she lifted her hand to wave slightly.

The princess laughed, "Of course. I'll bring you some once it's done."

~~~

Ana had just pulled out her third desert of the day from one of the many ovens when she heard someone enter the room. She assumed it was Mary again, but when a hand slid around her waist and she was tugged back into a warm chest, her eyes widened.

"Mason," she rolled her eyes. "You can't sneak up on me like that."

She turned in her boyfriend's hold to look up at him. "Do you have any idea how long it took for me to fucking find you?" She had to resist a smile as he shook his head exasperatedly. "I had to ask four people, four people Ana! And then I had no fucking clue where the kitchen was of course-."

Ana cut him off, "But you remembered where my room was?"

"No shit," he deadpanned. "Anyways- I had to ask another person to bring me to the kitchen, and they looked at me like I was completely batshit crazy. As if a guy asking for help is so unusual," he huffed.