Chapter 17

Naruto left Orochimarus soon after, having no new information but enough lectures to know she shouldn't race to find Sasuke.
But even through what Orochimaru and Naruto had done together and be apart of together, she couldn't find one solid reason to keep Sasukes disappearance a secret.

But one thing was curtain though.
The five knights.

Luckily the horse Naruto had left tied to a branch, was still there.
She mounted the mare and took hold of its lead once more.

When she entered town again, it was late morning. Right now the families of court and royal families would be sitting and eating breakfast.
Civilians stared as Naruto trotted through the streets on the horse. Some children even pointed at her and shouted things like, "Look mama she's riding a horse!" or "Wow! She's pretty!" or "Can I ride the horse?! Can I?? Can I?!"

Soldiers scattered around the town bowed and-or nodded their heads toward her in acknowledgement. The closer she got to the palace, the more soldiers she ran into.

Naruto arrived in the palace to find nothing but chaos. She grabbed one of the knights collars, stopping them in their tracks and lightly choking them.

"G-general!" He squeaked.
"What's going on?"
"His majesty sent us to look for you. And Sai had reported that his highness was not in bed when he went to wake him up."
Naruto let his scruff go, "Prince Sasuke is in no danger. Tell everyone to stop running around before the guests catch wind of it."
"R-right." He bowed and went to walk away but Naruto stopped him.
"Get me the five new knights on post from last night. I need to have a word with them."
"Of course."

Toji ran to tell the others Narutos message as Naruto herself made way to the dining hall.

When she entered, the quiet chatter silenced and Itachi stood. Clearly relieved to see Naruto alive and well.

"Hey you! Where's Sasuke-kun?!"
Naruto ignored Mitos rude outburst and walked to Itachi.
"We need to talk."
Izumi looked at them worried as Itachi nodded.
Itachi gave a quick smile, "Excuse me."

He followed Naruto out and Minato and Kushina shared a worried look.

Had something happened?

~~**~~

Itachi sat behind his desk, crossed his fingers and stared at Naruto in all seriousness.

"What is it? Has something happened with the defense in the towns?"
"The towns are the least of our worries Itachi."
He stiffened. Naruto never used his first name so informally.
"What happened?"
"I have reason to believe Sasuke was abducted."
"What?!" His hand slammed on the desk, the chair disregarded on the floor.
Naruto went to clarify her accusation when a knock came from the door.

"Come in." She called.

Sai walked in with the other five knights who were squirming and sweating with nerves.

Had they been caught for sneaking out with the younger highness?

"Toji informed you wanted our presence Sir Uzumaki."
Naruto waved a hand, "You may leave Sai. I needn't talk with you; it's the other five."
The five visibly shivered and gulped heavily.

Just this morning the five had heard of what happened to Izumi and Fuji. And could only think of what Naruto would do to them for the neglectfulness of their new job and getting drunk.

Sai bowed and left without another word.
Leaving the other five with Naruto and Itachi.

"These five gentlemen accompanied Sasuke to the pub. I found them in a brothel around twelve:thirty in the morning with Sasuke long gone by then." Naruto explained to Itachi before turning back to the men. "You will tell me what you remember from last night. Beware you only have one more mark before termination."
The five gulped. And forced the oldest one of them to explain it all, Higuchi Kenji.