14

The winter formal is tonight. I am going with Max and we've already planned everything. He got a pink tie to match my dress and my mom scheduled appointments for my nails, hair, and makeup. All I have to do is get through the school day. Not even five minutes into 2nd-period people started saying weird things.

"How was Max?" Jenny asked me.

"He's alright," I told her confused, my friends don't normally ask me stuff like this.

"He's just alright?" She asked.

"Yeah..." I answer still confused. Claire and Emma were close enough to hear and joined in.

"I hate men. They never look over our needs," Emma says.

"What are you guys talking about?" I finally ask.

"Didn't you-" Claire makes a thrusting gesture towards her mouth, "with Max?" I felt my face grow pale.

"No, I didn't blow him!" My voice raised slightly and they all looked around the room to see who was listening.

"You guys did at the party, Max's friends told me," Jenny said.

"It's not true," I whispered to them and they smirked at each other.

That whole conversation made me grumpy for the rest of the day. Did Max tell his friends that? Doesn't matter if it was true or not, he shouldn't have said anything. I thought about texting him but I couldn't even bear to look at my phone. At lunch, I didn't even eat a single thing off my tray.

English came and Nathan noticed my crabbiness. 

"What's wrong?" He asked. I wasn't embarrassed to tell him because he's basically one of the girls, but I was still so upset I didn't say a word.

I was working on the English worksheet when the final bell rang. I tried to hurry and throw all my things in my backpack so I could leave for the day. Everyone else seemed to notice the time and like usual, I was the last one out. Before I could even walk past the first row of desks a hand grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

"Tell me what's wrong," Ms. Wright said. I looked around pointlessly, I knew she wasn't going to let me go until I told her.

"Is it about the formal tonight?" She guessed.

"No," I respond plainly. She ushers me back to her desk and we sit down.

"Something happened between me and Max," I tell her.

"Your boyfriend?"

"He's not my boyfriend yet," I correct her.

"Well, what happened?" She asked. I look down and fiddle with my hands.

"It's too embarrassing," I say honestly. Ms. Wright reaches over her desk and holds both of my hands to stop them from fidgeting. I look into her soulful eyes that I can't resist.

"Max told his friends that we did it and it's not true and now all my friends know and next the whole school will know this lie," I rant.

"Everyone is going to forget it in a couple of weeks, don't worry," She tries to reassure me.

"I don't have a couple of weeks. I'm going to the formal with Max and everyone is going to be making sex jokes about us," I tell Ms. Wright. She scoots her chair closer to her desk and looks back into my eyes.

"Listen, I am chaperoning the dance. If anything happens that makes you feel uncomfortable come to me and I can take you home or whatever you want," She says sweetly. Although she said that in a soft voice I couldn't get over how she said 'we can do whatever you want'. I smile at her as a way of saying thanks.