Chapter 26- 2 Days Too Long

-Alaina-

Drops of water hang off the strands of my hair as I take park my car back in the driveway.

I take the keys out of the ignition, letting out a long breath.

My clothes are clinging to my skin, the cold sinking into me.

Maybe opening the windows in the heavy rain wasn't the best idea I've had.

I step out the car, noticing the silence in the house.

The cold air makes it 10 times harder to breathe as I walk towards the door.

Slowly, I push the door open, allowing the breeze to carry it open.

My Mom is pacing the living room, her hand over her mouth, shaking, with my father sat on the couch.

"Oh thank God, Alaina we were so worried about you-"

I completely ignore her, making my way up the stairs.

"You trailing water on my carpet!"

Because of course that so important right now.

I head straight to my room, stuffing everything in sight that I need into my suitcase.

When I lift my head, I look at all the family photos on my old desk.

We just look so happy and I don't know how I ruined everything.

Squishing the suitcase as much as possible, I drag the zipper around.

"Heading home?"

I jump around to see Isla leaning against my doorframe.

Her eyes scroll down from top to bottom, probably wondering why I look like I just jumped in a pool, but she shows no judgement.

Dragging the wet strands of hair from where they are stuck to my face, I rest my hands on my neck.

"Yeah," I huff out, sitting next to my case. "I guess I just don't beling here anymore, I do better by myself."

She purses her lips, nodding her head and walking towards me and sitting beside me.

"So... do I get to hear about the boy now Mom's not here?" her elbow nudges into my side.

I tuck my lip between my teeth, keeping my smile at bay.

"Oh God, you really like him, don't you?"

I stay silent, picking at my fingers.

"Oh. My. Gosh. You're in love."

Of course I am, if she saw him, she would be too, he's practically a God in my opinion.

But maybe I'm just biased.

"Huh. You really have changed, the Alaina I knew hated love." she throws her arm over my shoulders, pulling me closer.

"Piss off." I laugh, standing up and grabbing my suitcase.

"Hey, seriously," I stop in my tracks as she grabs my free hand. "I'm proud of you, you never had it easy. Just promise you'll call me more, dork."

I quickly smile and nod, just desperate to get back in the car and leave.

Breaking away from Isla, I leave her sitting in my room and make my way down the stairs as quick as my very weak and unathletic legs can carry me.

I catch myself in the mirror as I walk past and I sort of look like that creepy girl from The Ring with my hair over my face, but thats the least of my concerns right now.