Chapter 1- Party

"Alaina stop being fucking boring and let us take you out for your 21st!" Sophie yells, clearly drunk.

"Yeah A, only because we love you, not because Sophie's alcoholic ass wants another night out." Ava laughs, a lot calmer then Soph.

I hate nights out. It costs so much money I can't afford to waste and I don't remember the last time I genuinely enjoyed it.

"Hey! I see your little cogs turning about money. Its your birthday, we got you covered A." she adds, placing a hand on my shoulder and grinning.

Staying silent, I give a slight, hesitant nod.

Seeing as I'm the only one who can manage the night without alcohol, I drive the 4 of them home.

After getting back to my apartment, I carelessly throw my keys into the bowl beside the door and kick off my heels.

I swing the fridge door open.

No alcohol.

Great.

I miss it. Coming home to the smell of Mom's fresh pie. Hearing my brothers laughing from down the hall. Most of the time at the dumbest shit.

Home.

Home is a place where you feel constantly safe, surrounded by people you love. Never wanting to leave it because its the place you feel the most comfort.

Instead my home is a tiny apartment in the creepiest neighbourhood in town, barely scraping enough money together for food and rent, with just 4 friends who come, drink, then leave.

Don't get me wrong. I couldn't be more grateful to have somewhere to live, I know lots of people don't have that.

Its just getting hard to believe this simple life will ever get better when I've been at the constant downhill since I was 18.

I slump onto my lumpy, uncomfortable mattress and stare up into the blank ceiling.

The annoying ringtone of my phone blares through the room and I look at the screen.

Av <3

Hey girl! Thanks for the ride home. Can't wait for your 21st. We love you!

Ignoring the message, I stuff my phone under the pillow.

My eyes start getting heavy and I drift off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-2 weeks later-

Alaina's Birthday

My eyes shoot open at the sound of a loud, rapid thumping at my door.

What the fuck?

Carefully, I place my feet on the freezing, wooden floor and pick up my phone.

9am.

Wearing my plaid pj shorts and a huge band tee, I mosey over to the door just as the thumping starts again.

I open the door and there stands my friends with a massive balloon and gift bags.

"Happy birthday!"

Holy shit.

"Its 9am guys, its basically still night, what are you doing?" I laugh.