IV Reggie's P.O.V

Start from the beginning

Ash stared at him for a long time, face blank. It was eerie, to say the least. Even in his Ace Ranger's form he never behaves like this. Thankfully, he broke into a huge smile soon enough. "Finally! Let's battle!"

Before any of us could say anything, we heard the feared exclamation... "It's The Saint!"

Then it was every trainer for themselves. We all scrambled towards the Gym's door and slammed it shut. Poor Ash and Elite Four Flint got caught on the other side by the fan mob.

"Is Arceus going to punish us for leaving them to die?" Dawn asked no one in particular, looking at the door fearfully. We all flinched back at the high-pitched screams coming from the other side.

"I'm sure he understands that sacrifices must be done in war," Lucario answered solemnly, bowing his head to the door. "We will pray for their poor unfortunate souls."

"What brings you to Sunnyshore City Reggie?" Riley asked me with a strained smile.

Are we going to ignore that? I thought sweatdropping. It seems that we are.

"I've heard from Paul that Ash was not traveling with you guys, and after everything that happened..." I trailed off.

"He is doing quite well honestly," Riley answered with a gentler smile. "He just needed some rest. Thank you for asking."

My answer was interrupted by the doors being slammed open, showing a disheveled and glaring Ash. "Traitors!" He hissed. We didn't have it in us to look unrepented, not after watching the result of staying behind. Seeing that, Ash huffed and stomped forward. "Let's get this over with!"

Riley and I shared a chuckle, while Dawn rushed after Ash asking him if he was all right. Elite Four Flint, who looked as weary as Ash, proceeded to help Volkner get the crowd in control and get them to the bleachers. Our group, luckily, got the front seats. Or not so luckily, when the crowd began squealing and shouting behind us at every second. Ash's smirk spelled 'sweet karma'.

"I believe this is the noisiest my Gym has ever been," Volkner commented, looking at the crowd in bewilderment.

"Welcome to my world," Ash muttered, as the referee took his position and explained how the match will proceed. A full battle match with no possibility of change from the Gym Leader.

"Let the battle begin!" As soon as the referee announced, Volkner and Ash had their Poke Balls in the air. An Electrivve and a Nidoqueen appeared on the battlefield, getting interesting murmurs from the crowd.

"This is going to be a good fight," Riley announced, leaning forward in anticipation.

"Electivire, Rain Dance!" Volkner was quick to command, surely thinking of using the water as a better conduit for electricity, especially with Nidoqueen being a Ground-type pokemon.

However, Ash did not allow it to happen. "Nidoqueen, Sunny Day!" Both moves neutralized each other. "Now use our Toxic-Stone combo!" In quick succession, Electivire was corraled by a ring of Stone Edge covered in venom. But that was not Ash's objective, without any command from her trainer, Nidoqueen went for a strong Drill Run, that had Electivire crashing against the Stone Edge ring. "Now, Rock Slide!"

The move broke the spikes covered in poison, burying Electivire in debris. Now the battlefield is transformed into a difficult area to move, with rock debris everywhere and poison covering every inch. "Don't give up Electivire! Use Brick Break, to break free!" Volkner did not give up, and neither did his pokemon. The crowd went wild when Electivire made it through all the debris. But I knew that he did not have much time left. He was poisoned badly. "Ice Punch and Mega Punch, go!" Both fists glowed in contained power, waiting for the right moment to explode. However, as I had deduced, while trying to bring down Nidoqueen with the combined use of Ice Punch and Mega Punch, he succumbs to the poison.