Chapter 2 ; Grapejuice

"I pay for it more than I did back then, there's just no getting through without you."

*One Week Later*

"C'mon Luz, you have to talk to me!"

Amity had been trying for the past week to get Luz to talk about how she was doing, but it constantly got turned around and she'd change the subject. Luz was getting kind of fed up with it actually, as she kept waiting for Amity to let it go. "Amity, I'm fine, I do talk to you!" The two were now sitting on the roof alone early in the morning, giving Amity more of an opportunity to pry. Amity's eyes softened and she took Luz's hand, "You know that's not what I meant." Luz was caught off guard, finally looking into her girlfriends eyes. Those damn golden eyes, she thought to herself angrily. The two stared for a moment, one pleading and the other was stone. Luz pulled away and wrapped her arms around herself protectively, "I mean, what's there to talk about? I failed, Amity, is that what you want? I failed to protect the ones I promised I would. Nothing's okay and I need to hurry up and save them! They could be dead by now and I- I-" At this point Luz was sobbing and her eyes of stone were now melting ice. Amity's heart squeezed, "And I am useless." Luz mumbled, finishing her sentence. Amity pulled her close, rubbing circles on her back, and Luz leaned into her.

"Mi Batata, Luz," Amity said in comfort, "You're not responsible for any of this, you have to know that. You don't need to be okay right away, I know you want to rush this, but that's all we have right now. Time. We'll find a way back to them, but we have to work together. We're in this together, you're not alone." Luz sniffled, calming down. Amity gave her a sad and soft smile, "And I have to believe that everyone is doing what they can to stay safe." She then kissed the top of her girlfriend's head and Luz blushed slightly. "You think so?" She asked, "I know so." Amity answered, "You're not useless, okay? Just ... be honest with me?" Luz said nothing more, but nodded. The two sat there in each others arms for a long while, talking about all they thought and felt. In the end, a small smile made it's way to Luz Noceda's face.

* * *

Hunter woke to sunshine warming his heavy eyelids. He let his body relax again and stayed there for a moment longer. Another day in the human realm, he thought to himself. The night before he'd had another nightmare, a lot different from the first night, but again, Willow woke him and told him to come back to the guest room. Hunter wasn't sure why he kept sleeping on the couch when it was obviously doing him no good, every night was a new terrifying nightmare. That night, the nightmare consisted of Willow getting snatched by Kikimora instead of Luz and Hunter being too late to save her. He cringed at the vivid recollection of the dream. "Good morning, Hunter!" Willow greeted softly, having noticed he was awake. Hunter opened his eyes and turned his head to look at her, "Good morning, Captain." Sitting up he stretched his arms, however, he forgot how unstable his sleeping arrangement was and fell off the small air mattress with an oof. Willow laughed and Hunter's ears and cheeks warmed. "This contraption is ridiculous." He muttered, getting up to sit beside Willow on the twin sized mattress. The group decided to use the air mattress every time Hunter had a rough night, which so far had been every night. Willow was starting to think he should just stay in the room with Gus and her, since he couldn't be alone.

"Well, it's good for sleeping though, right?" Willow said completely amused. "Yeah .. Just wish these nightmares would stop so I wouldn't keep bugging you guys." Hunter said. Willow stared at him, like he'd just said the most incriminating thing in the world. "Hunter." Willow said to get his attention. He hesitated before shifting his eyes to look at her, "I know you think you're bugging us, but you aren't. Do you maybe want to unpack these dreams? Maybe it would calm you down more at night." Willow grabbed his hand to hold it gently, her eyes sharp with honesty. Hunter wasn't sure why his heart was racing so fast and yet felt so calm all at once. Shutting his eyes tightly, he released a shaky breath, "I don't even know where to start." Willow thought for a moment before, "How about we start with last night, it should be fresh on the mind, but if it's too much we don't have to do that one first." Hunter suddenly felt a little embarrassed, knowing last nights dream included a certain plant-loving girl. "I- uh well-" He tried to formulate his words, "Back in the factory, you were taken by Kikimora, instead of Luz, and I- I couldn't save you in time." Hunter spoke so quietly, but it was enough for Willow to hear. Her heart sank slightly but also felt lighter, knowing he cared for her that much. She then brushed her knuckles on his cheek to get his attention again, a sad smile on her face. Hunter's eyes shifted back to hers again, dark pink meeting green. "I never wanna lose you, Willow."