What are you-

The Giver was sitting on the table. He knew that this would happen eventually, but he needs to be here for the community now.

"We should get started now." Matilda starts.

"No. Matilda, before we begin I need to tell you something." The Giver starts.

"What are you-" The Chief elder starts.

"No, let me talk," The Giver states. "Look, a long time ago we got together perfectly. We were best friends. We had both just received our assignments. I was the Receiver of Memory and you were part of the assignment assigning committee. I stopped taking my pills and so did you. We fell in love. A feeling I am hoping you still feel that way. I never stoped loving you, did you?" 

By now The Chief Elder had tears in her eye. "Elijah, you think I want to release you? Do you think I had a choice? I never stopped, but now I am going to have too. Elijah you have been the light of my life forever, but I have no choice,but to put that light out." By now she was full out crying. Tears streaming down her face.

"I love you Matilda."That's the last thing The Giver says before the needle is injected in his arm. The Chief Elder is left there crying. 

"I love you too Elijah." She chokes out between sobs.