Chapter 47.

*Raquel's POV*

The reception was full of dad's old colleagues, business compatriots/partners, his employees, people who we went to church with, extended family whom I've never really met before, and even my floor manager is here.

The room was crowded, with tons of people surrounding mom. About a dozen people at a time have came up to me, tell me their condolences and prayers.

It was hard.

My fake smile begins to hurt, eyes begin to strain, and I don't really remember the last time I drank water.

"Raquel, my deepest condolences to you and your mother." Mrs. Gertrude makes her way in my direction. I couldn't walk more than 3 steps without someone approaching me. It's starting to get overhwleming.

"Thank you, Mrs. Gertrude." I politely nod and try to excuse myself but she continues to talk.

"So I assume that Huxley Inc. will continue its establishments and operations under...you. Is that correct?" She asks in a curious tone.

Out of nowhere, my heart begins to race, and the room feels a little tight.

"Uh...I'm...I'm not quite sure-"

"Because if it IS true, you must know the reposnsibility needed to run the business as successful as it was when your father left it." Here goes Mrs. Gertrude and her antics of wealth management.

"If you feel the slightest discouragement, I am one of the top investors of your company you know, and I know outstanding candidates who are capable of running the business just as good as your father has! I already have a few names and most are from the west coast." She pulls out her phone and scrolls.

I'm currently grieving, and she's the fifth person who has discreetly told me that I'm either too young, too naïve, or not good enough to run my father's company.

I felt my temper trying to kick in, and before I could project, I felt a warm hand hold onto mine.

"It's inappropriate to be discussing immediate business during a funeral reception." Peter (A) chimes in, making Mrs. Gertrude uncomfortable. "The Huxley family and team appreciates your investmets, however, if you are worried about the company's future, I'd take your investments elsewhere. As you should know better that Raquel IS a Huxley. She's just like her father, and may even be better. She may not even want to continue pursuing the business. It is her choice to either keep or sell the company, and it's her choice only. We would all appreciate it if you would please keep your worries and opinions to yourself, as Raquel is currently grieving over her father's death. Something you should be doing too."

"I believe we haven't met." Mrs. Gertrude glares at him. "I believe you do not know WHO I AM."

"All I know is that you are worried about the loss of your money, the company, and the fact that it's now all under Raquel's name. I don't need to know you any further." Peter (A) stands stubbornly tall. I smile in amazement of how he said the words that I could never really pluck up the courage to say in front of a well known elitist. I'd usually say something, but it would probably bring too much attention. I'd get in trouble with mom later.

"And to think you were a nice fella." Mrs. Gertrude expresses disgust. "What a disappointment, Raquel." She turns to me.

"You are more than welcome to get seconds at the buffet line." I change the subject and walk away.

"Was I too harsh?" Peter (A) asks, walking beside me.

"You were perfect." I gleam and give him a kiss. "I was beginning to wonder where you've been."