Just a Favor

"Hi" he smiled at her, his eyes dancing up and down her form.

"Not interested" she said furrowing her brow, grabbing her drink and moving on to the other end of the bar.

He followed her, dismissing her rejection, "I'm Ishim" he told her.

"Doesn't that mean you're the lowest level of Angel" she asked, attempting to take him down a peg or two?

"You know what I am" he was surprised by her reaction, but he smiled.

"And you know what I am" she nodded, her reaction to him unchanged, "that's why you're pushing this. But as you can tell, I'm rejecting you, so this is not the mate you're looking for".

"You're unbound" he smiled, putting his hand on her arm "we could have some fun".

She grabbed her purse, showing the hilt of an angel blade, "got this from the last one of you assholes who wouldn't take no for an answer. I know exactly how to use it. Keep walking".

Visibly shaken by her reaction, he walked away. She put the blade back in her purse, paid her tab and left the bar.

Story of her life, well part anyway. Jade was unwanted for most of her life, in adulthood the hunt began. Angels had pursued her since she was eighteen.

It was her parents' fault, all of it. Her birth was to make her a doner, nothing more. They clothed her, fed her, and kept her healthy, but beyond that she was a source of blood and other donatable parts. Her older sister Janine had been diagnosed with Cancer, young. It was a struggle to get doners for her, for all the procedures that she needed done. The closest match to most children are relatives, so a sibling had potential to be a good match. Luckily for her parents, Jade was born a perfect match to her sister. She was poked and prodded almost as much as Janine was over the years with little to no luck. This is when her parents sought out alternative measures.

Apparently, there were angels looking for children who were strong enough to be mated to other angels. It was a process that few survived. An Angel's grace was put into a child's body and tried to fuse with their soul. Typically, it overpowered the soul and killed the child. But if the child was strong enough, the grace would fuse, and they would be destined to be the mate of an Angel. Jade survived, but was never big on destiny. She always believed she carved out her own, and her choices were hers. The thing was, just being capable of mating, made her attractive to every last Angel she encountered. What's more, the last five years or so the angelic population had exploded.

Not to say none weren't giving intriguing offers, but the last thing she wanted was to get knocked up and have the entire heavenly army after her. A baby conceived by a human and Angel was called a Nephilim and considered an abomination. Angels were dicks.

She took her jacket off as she walked by the river. Her Iron Maiden tshirt caught the breeze and started to flutter. She adjusted her leather skirt that was sitting oddly from her time seated at the bar. Jade always ran hot. Even in the winter, she craved cold.

"Jade is it" a man's Scottish accent came behind her?

"If you're another winged messenger, ask your friend back there what I'm packing" she shouted over her shoulder.

"Not exactly" he told her.

She turned around to see a shorter man in a suit standing there, his eyes went completely red.

"Crossroads Demon" she nodded, then shook her head. "I didn't summon you". A Crossroads Demon was essentially a sales person for Hell. They would tend to wheel and deal, offering whatever the individual wanted. The typical deal gave them ten years to live, after which they became Hell's bitch.