After a few moments passed, her stomach had healed all up. Suyin froze as he gazed straight into her eyes, slightly confused for how long he stared. Jungwon glanced up to her forehead, and he squinted at a mark. He lifted his hand, brushing her bangs out of the way. "Hold on," he mumbled under his breath, and his thumb stroked over a bruise on her head.

Suyin examined the boy's narrowed eyebrows and squinting eyes, and she pursed her lips. Despite how much of a jerk he was towards her–and though she understood why–he healed her.

"I'm sorry," she apologized softly.

Jungwon matched her gaze momentarily, sensing her sentimental aura. His thumb remained in contact with her head even though the bruise had lifted. "I know," he muttered.

"I'm trying–"

"I know," Jungwon repeated, and his hand dropped to his side. "I don't want an explanation, nor do I care to get one from you."

Suyin nodded quietly. "Then thank you." She didn't glance at his reaction, but she sensed his eyes flicker onto her. "For healing me."

Jungwon rose back onto his feet, and he turned. "I couldn't leave you bleeding to death...even if I wanted to," Jungwon sighed. For a split second, Suyin caught the smallest glimpse of a teasing smirk playing on his lips.

≿━━━━༺◎༻━━━━≾

Jungwon and Suyin were the first to arrive back at the Aureum Palace. When they rode on the dragon's back, Suyin fell asleep on the peaceful ride. Jungwon could tell she was asleep by her unusual silence and odd proximity. He cringed at how her head rested on his shoulder at first, but he somehow kept quiet instead of shaking her awake.

The two relaxed in the lounge of the Aureum Palace, waiting for the rest to arrive back. Suyin sat at the corner of a couch, resting her arm on the armrest. Jungwon stood on the opposite side, and he glanced at her exhausted eyes. Suyin's eyelids faltered until they fully shut, and her head rolled off her supporting hand. Jungwon quietly shook his head, watching as her hair curtained her face.

Eventually, the pair of doors opened with a group of four entering, waking the sleeping Suyin. "Jungwon?? You guys came back first?" Niki gasped, receiving a simple nod.

"Of course, they came back first. Jungwon is our best fighter," Sunoo smirked proudly.

Unexpectedly, the pair of doors busted open again with a moody pyro, followed by a cryo who held a cold expression. The red-haired pyro marched over to Master Wonchul, passing their other members.

"How'd it go?" Jake wondered from the couch.

"I hate him," Jay grumbled in reply, referring to Sunghoon, and he stopped at Wonchul's front. He handed the strand of qilin hair to Wonchul, who smiled with satisfaction.

"Thank you, child. You two have done well," Wonchul approved. Jay huffed while plopping down next to Heeseung and Jake.

"Now, although not all of you enjoyed the activity...due to stubbornness," Wonchul glared at Jay and Sunghoon, "you have worked together to gather these items. Now that we have all four items, we shall offer these next week at sunset. As for now– go shower." Wonchul flicked his hand. "You stink."

≿━━━━༺◎༻━━━━≾

The night had fallen into the sky. Suyin rested on the steps of the outdoor training area, living inside her thoughts. She mentally chided herself for standing at the side, allowing Jungwon to work all alone against the Baihu spirit today. Although Jungwon miraculously defeated it himself without her help, it was discourteous of her. It was insolent to herself.

Suyin flinched as something touched her leg, She instantly looked down, and she gasped. "You!?" Suyin whispered, bewildered.

A familiar black shorthaired winged cat stood at her feet, gazing up at her.

"How in the world did you get here!?" Suyin yelped. The cat fairy didn't budge. Only its eyes spoke, glittering purple in the lantern light. Blue bloomed on its transparent amethyst wings–displaying an innocent appearance. "Did you sneak onto the dragon when we came back? You should be back home...in the forest."

The cat remained unmoved, staring at Suyin.

"Are you here to stay?" After a moment of silence, the cat slowly closed its eyes, and it nudged its head against her leg. Suyin heaved a sigh, and she landed her hand on its head. "I'm assuming that's a yes."

Petting its fur, Suyin helplessly sunk back into her thoughts. If she couldn't call upon her powers during a fight, what heroism did she have in her? After all this training, she still couldn't see a reason why the sword chose her. She was useless. She was nothing but a weak disappointment.

"But how can I be a warrior when everyone is scared of me?" Suyin whispered to herself. The cat tilted its head–eyes rested on Suyin. "When I'm scared of me."

The black cat sat on the ground, and it meowed. A puff of air escaped Suyin's nose, forming a chortle. "Don't get scared, okay?" Her hand gently lifted. She narrowed her eyes while playing with the night's shadows between her fingers.

The cat meowed once again, and it placed its paws on her knees. It reached for the black wisps around Suyin's fingers, pawing at the air. Suyin lowered her hand, but she paused. She melted into her reflection inside its glistening eyes. A distant, nostalgic chill rippled through her body, but the feeling slipped from her in an instant.

Her voice hummed gently—curious. "...I wonder if your kind has the power to comfort," She chuckled, caressing its fur again.