Chapter 34: Danger Zone

(IF YOU CAN FIGURE OUT WHAT MOVIE SOME OF THE CHARACTERS, EVENTS, AND QUOTES IN THIS CHAPTER CAME FROM, YOU WILL RECIEVE A SHOUTOUT!)

"This is so cool!" The boys yelled as our van pulled up to the dock where the huge aircraft carrier was located. They were right, it was pretty cool. Probably about as tall as a six-story building, the flight deck towered high above. Around us were tons of people in uniform, all scrambling to their designated positions. The driver, whom was also in uniform, opened our doors and led us to the entrance of the ship. There, we boarded a large lift and it took us up to a the top floor where the flight deck was located.

"Where's the commander?" Liam asked, referring to my dad.

"Oh, he's in the bridge, we're almost there. He'll be giving you a tour." a man in uniform said to us as we followed him down a narrow hallway. Now don't get me wrong, I was elated to finally be out of the hospital, but these plain white hallways reminded me of the hospital. At least now I know I will never want to pursue a career in the navy.

"Ashley, boys, Anne! Good to see you all. Welcome to the USS Enterprise. This is the captain's bridge, where we pretty much man the entire ship. Over there we have mapping systems, and over there we have the machines that help us steer." my father pointed to the different areas and everyone split up, looking at everything. I walked over to my dad and began to watch what he was doing. He stood over the map, moving some small figurines around and writing things down on a pad of paper.

"Whatcha doing dad?" I nudged him and he continued to write. Was he ignoring me? I had never seen this side of him, he was so involved in his work that he wouldn't even pay attention to me. About a minute or two later he looked up and set his pencil down.

What did you ask?"

"Oh, I was just wondering what you're doing. But if you're too busy, I understand." I sighed.

"Oh no I'm not too busy, here I'll show you." he looked down at the map and I followed. It all confused me: a bunch of numbers and letters covering the Pacific Ocean.

"This is a new flight plan that I'm planning for when we have an 'unexpected' visitor in the air." I nodded my head, wanting him to continue.

"So, here we have the carrier. And then a few miles out we have two planes. As the enemy closes in, we have about five more waiting and if they get any further, we set up the big guns that you saw outside." he pointed out the window to one of the large guns attached to the side of the boat.

"Interesting. Has something like that happened recently?"

"Well, it does happen quite often. But we rarely use the 'big guns'. Those are just in case the enemy does get that close."

"And I assume they won't if you're in the air." I smiled and he laughed loudly, making me giggle.

"Yeah, I hope so. But for now, we aren't having any visitors besides you guys, and I'm pretty sure you aren't going to shoot us. At least, I hope not." he put his hands up and stood back, making me laugh.

"Yeah, I won't. As long as you don't get on my bad side." I smirked. Me and my dad had always had a pretty hilarious relationship; we were more like best friends than father and daughter.

"Sounds like a good plan. But for now, why don't we go check out the flight deck? I'm pretty sure the flight plan is all set and I have nothing else to do, want to go?" he asked me.

"Sure, should I tell everyone else?" he nodded and I ran over to the rest of my friends (and family) to tell them where we were going. They all decided to come to and soon enough we were all standing outside. Since we weren't moving, the wind was pretty calm.