Chapter 40

A L L I E

Allie's phone chimed with a notification. She glanced down from her monitor to her phone. It was six o'clock, but she'd been so engrossed in her work that she hadn't stopped for the day yet, even though she was working from home. She had a text from Dacian.

"Come over," it said.

She smiled. "What for?" she sent back. It had become a game between them - she played hard to get and he played aggressive.

A minute passed, in which she realized she'd already been so thoroughly distracted from her research into the correct way to parse a string literal that she decided to shut down for the day.

"I want to wrestle with you."

Those six words sent heat racing through her. She didn't reply to his text. Instead, she used the bathroom, brushed her teeth and pulled her hair back into a braid, then headed barefoot up the fire escape and knocked at his window.

Dacian came over immediately and helped her inside. She shivered as the icy air of his apartment enveloped her.

"These are no good," he said, fingering the hem of her jean shorts. "They'll restrict your movement too much. Take them off."

"If you want them off," she said, backing away from him, "take them off yourself."

His grey eyes heated to molten steel. He pursued her, his movements graceful and lithe. He was a tiger stalking after her. A thrill of fear ran down her spine as it always did when he looked at her that way.

It seemed that no matter how much she trusted and desired him, her body knew instinctively to be afraid when he turned that calculating, predatory gaze on her. She liked the way the fear heightened her senses, which made everything he subsequently did to her that much more arousing.

Finally he pounced. She tried to leap out of the way but his strong arms caught her and pulled her to him. She squealed as he subdued her, trapping her arms and holding her wrists. When he had her secured against his broad chest, he undid the fly on her shorts with one hand and yanked them down, down, until they fell down her legs. He dragged her backward, forcing her to step out of them. He dragged them away with his foot and sent them sliding toward the wall.

Allie's heart pounded in her chest as desire crashed through her. His rough handling and overpowering strength were all it took to make her knees weak and her thighs wet.

He knew it, too.

"Careful what you wish for," he said darkly in her ear. Allie whimpered. His fingertips traced over the curve of her hip. She wore only a loose tank top and panties now.

"Do you want this?" he asked, his fingers dipping under the waistband of her panties. Trailing along the edge. He pulled her earlobe into his hot mouth, scraped his teeth over her sensitive skin. She gasped and writhed against his hard body.

"Yes."

"Good." He spun her away from him, leaving her disoriented and catching her footing as he stripped off his shirt so that he wore just a pair of soft, worn jeans. His eyes were dark with lust as he considered her.

In a heartbeat he had closed the distance between them. He moved too fast for her to counter or escape as he wrapped an arm around her, then swept her legs out from under her. He lowered her to the ground and seated his hips against hers.

"Fight me off," he said. Then he palmed her breasts and squeezed her nipples.

Allie grabbed his wrists and tried to pull his hands away from her but was surprised at how difficult that task proved to be as he easily resisted her efforts. She tried to bring her legs to bear in the situation but with his center of weight firm against her hips, she couldn't seem to buck him off. She tried to squirm out from underneath him, but he squeezed his thighs around her and locked her in place.