Chapter 35

A L L I E

The walk to the coffee shop passed in a blur. Finally they stepped inside a quiet café. It was lit only by the natural light that streamed in through large windows that hugged the walls. Rain slid down the windows. Green leafy plants filled the empty spaces, giving it the air of an indoor garden. There were lots of empty tables for one or two and a few people sitting by themselves with a laptop and earbuds. The aroma of roasted coffee beans filled the air.

"What do you want?" Dacian asked.

Allie peered up at the menu. "Um, a mocha please. Small."

She looked around as he placed their orders and paid. Then Dacian led the way toward a table for two in the back corner – far away from the other patrons – and sat with his back to the wall.

Allie sank into the chair opposite him. The small round table between them barely qualified as a table. Dacian's long legs extended all the way into her space. She fidgeted with her hands.

Dacian took one of her fidgeting hands in his. His hands were large enough to completely ensconce her when he placed both warm palms around hers. "It's over now. He's going to get fired. You don't have to worry about it."

"But what if they fire you, too?" She swallowed. "What if I just cost you your job?"

"Then they don't deserve either of us." His voice was totally sure. Confident.

How could he be so calm about possibly losing his job?

"Don't worry about me, Allie," he continued. His thumb rubbed back and forth over her pulse. "I will be able to get another job, even if they should fire me. But if I know Anders and Saurabh, they'll fight for both of us." He held her gaze. "But it doesn't matter. I would do it again in a heartbeat."

"How can you say that?" she breathed. "You've worked there for years..."

"It's just a job. You are more important to me than anything."

What? Her heart stopped.

"When I rounded that corner and saw him looming over you..." he continued, trailing off. His big body had tensed and she realized he was trembling slightly. With rage or the after-effects of adrenaline, she couldn't tell which. He tightened his grip on her hand. "Let's just say I feel very... protective of you."

"Dacian."

He flicked his gaze to the barista, then glanced at Allie apologetically. "I'll be right back." He slid gracefully out of his seat and returned a moment later bearing their coffees.

Allie was still stunned by his admission. She accepted her coffee and wrapped her hands around her mug. Its warmth was oddly comforting.

"Now, where were we?" he said.

Allie swallowed. "Tell me about yourself. I've known you for weeks and I still feel like I hardly know anything about you."

He's very private. Lauren had certainly been right about that. He hardly ever talked about himself or his past. Ever.

"What do you want to know?" Dacian blew on his coffee.

"Why are you always up in the middle of the night, and what are you doing up there that makes so much noise?"

"I have nightmares," he said softly. "And after the nightmares, I have insomnia. When I can't sleep, I workout."

Okay. Wow. That was a lot to work with. She blinked.

"Your nightmares. Do they come and go, or are they constant?"

"They come and go, but when they come, they can last for weeks or even months at a time. These days they're pretty much a constant."