This Side of Paradise

Y/n PoV

As soon as I'm through my building door I sudden burst of energy hits me and I can't help but jump in a circle with a wide grin on my face. I could quite literally scream with happiness. Once I finished spinning I realise I'm not alone.

"Oh. Um- hi", I give an awkward smile to my neighbour, Richard, my cheeks imitating the colour of a tomato. 

"Someone's happy?", he chuckles as he opens his post cubby. 

"Yeah, it's been a good day", I say walking towards the elevator, my face towards the floor in a poor attempt to hide the blush that I know he's already seen. I click the button which lights up red and I turn back to Richard, "You going up?".

"Yeah", he nods before grabbing his post and coming to stand next to me. Normally I would've hated having to ride in the elevator with somebody else but at this very moment, nothing could distract me from the day I was having. So before I know it, I'm saying a quick goodbye to Richard and I'm in my apartment. 

I glance at my watch and realise that maybe I should've told Reid that I would need more than an hour as I felt clinically insane with giddiness and I needed to calm down. I decided the best way to do that is to hop in the shower and let the water wash it off.

As I rinse the shampoo through my hair I realise that this is the first time I've been alone since I read Reid's letter and I take a minute to let all that has happened in the past 24 hours sink in. I finally went on a date and kissed the man that I have had the most exhausting schoolgirl crush on for the past 6 months.

It's almost impossible to describe the relief that settled in when it hit me that he liked me back. That he felt exactly the same as me. Now I could have a conversation with him without being petrified that my feelings would corrode our relationship. I just wished we were both a little braver so that we wouldn't have had to wait 6 months for this day.

I sit on the edge of my bed, blowdrying my hair and trying to decide what I should do with it. This is when I wanted to call up Emily, JJ and Garcia for advice. I can almost picture their squeals of delight and I-told-you-so's as if they were right here with me. Despite my natural instinct to tie up my hair, I decide to leave it down - letting it run wild.

I have about half an hour left before I'm flicking through my wardrobe, faced with the impossible task of what to wear. I probably wasted about 10 minutes of trying on different options until I literally smack my hand to my forehead. This entire has been today has been the dates from the 'Night Changes' music video, yet I dared to try on anything but a red dress.

Luckily I had the perfect dress for the occasion.

I had bought it on impulse years ago with no reason to wear it, I just thought it was nice. It was a deep burgundy red silk dress. I slipped it over my head, getting slightly caught in the crisscrossed spaghetti straps but managed to get it on after struggling with the zip on the back. It clung tightly to my torso before hanging loosely to stop just about my knees.

I glance at myself in my mirror and for once it doesn't feel weird to admit that I feel pretty. 

Knowing that I will freeze to death in this dress alone, I grab a white ballerina cardigan that ties together, wrapping around my ribs. I doubt it will save me too much from the cold, but it gives me an excuse to steal Reid's incredibly comfortable clothes. 

I glance at my watch and run into the bathroom and at lightning speed apply mascara, eyeliner and then red lipstick which I quickly remove deciding that it was too much and then replacing it with a simple lip gloss. 

I manage to get my shoes on and sit at my kitchen counter and have a glass of water to try and calm myself before there is a knock on the door. I shake out my hands to remove any remaining nerves and double-check myself in the mirror before opening the door.