I was now close enough to reach my hand out to her. I watch as she shut her eyes tight while my hand made contact with her fur. She bowed her head lower but I could feel her lean into my touch. Surprising me, she moved closer and lay down to rest her head in my lap. Her hyperventilating slowed to a steady breathing rhythm and she began to relax to my relief.

Mia's POV

It's my 8th birthday today and I wanna do something special for myself. I snuck to the kitchen and made sure no one was watching as I open the fridge. I grab a couple slices of bread. I look over my shoulders to double check that no one was around. If I was caught stealing food I know I'd get in a lot of trouble.

I look down at my arms to see the bruises, wondering if it was even worth it. Maybe they'd let me off the hook since it's my birthday? I decide I deserve one day for myself at the least and proceed to grab the peanut butter and jelly to make a sandwich cake.

I try to secretly prepare it in the kitchen and make sure to keep glancing around for any pack members. If I really needed to, I could probably make an excuse that some pup wanted me to make them a sandwich.

After a slightly messy process, I smile to the cake I made for myself and grab a candle from a junk drawer. Carefully hiding the sandwich under my shirt, I quickly exit the pack house and walk casually towards the woods.

I place my sandwich on some leaves to resemble a plate and stuck the candle in the middle. I laugh at the lopsided look my cake has. I didn't have a lighter but that's ok. Something was missing though.. I glance around and pick a few flowers that were near me and made 2 bundles to set on either side of my sandwich.

"Mommy, daddy" I turn my head to each bundle smiling. "I turned 8 today and I thought we could celebrate together."

I hum happy birthday out loud and pretend to blow out the candle when I finish the song. I took a big bite of my birthday cake and could feel my mouth water after realizing how hungry I truly was. I was only allowed to eat on certain days and today was certainly not one of those days.

A voice called out and I jumped, "she went over there, I saw her." I heard rustling behind me and my panic rose, trying to hide the food under leaves so I wouldn't get in trouble. I froze up hearing a snap directly behind me. I turn slowly and look up, feeling my body tremble and eyes go wide seeing it was Alpha.

Alpha seems too calm and it was scaring me, he was never calm. "Hey sweetheart. I wanted to wish you happy birthday. I have a surprise for you." Alpha took a few steps towards me and I further try to scramble leaves to cover up the sandwich while I scoot backwards.

He knelt down to my level and when his hand reached out I flinched. "Please don't hurt me, I'm sorry!" I shut my eyes making sure I didn't make eye contact.

"For what sweetie" I felt his thumb brush my check and I start to cry. I watch intently when he brought back his hand. Something caught my eye on his thumb and my stomach dropped. I felt horrified as I saw jelly on it. "Let me guess, this?." I dumbly look into his eyes with fear, knowing I made a mistake.

I hoped to reason with him so I plead, "It.. It's my birthday. I wanted to make a c.. cake. I'm sorry, please don't hurt me! I won't d.. do it again.." He only shook his head and held a sick smile. "Let's go celebrate then shall we?."

He grabbed my arm roughly and pulled me to follow him. "I think it's time you got your own room now, you're too old to stay at the daycare." I look up at Alpha with hope, maybe things might change? But I knew better then to get my hopes up. Especially as I saw Josh smirking at me as we left the forrest.

My heart hurt realizing he must have seen what I was doing and told on me to Alpha.
I kept my eyes low, feeling tears pooling up. We reached the pack house and he brought me to a door. I knew where this lead too.. all the kids said it's scary and dark. Why was he bringing me here?

He opens the door and cold air rushed over me, making me shiver. "Go on." Alpha said, still with in a calm voice. "I don't wanna, please no Alpha, please don't make me go down there." I try to back up but Alpha grabs my shoulders and shoved me down the stairs. I scream out in pain as I hit multiple steps, feeling tears stream down my face.

I heard Alpha stomp down the stairs and I could feel his overwhelming anger that I was used to. I try to plead with him but he only stalked over to me and pulled me up by my hair. "I've had enough with you Mia! you've been disobedient lately and I think I need to work on your training better. SHIFT!."

I screamed out again as the worst pain I've ever felt overcame me. I heard popping drown my ears and it felt like all my bones were breaking. I knew what was happening but daddy said I won't shift until I'm 10! I cried out for Alpha to make it stop but he only responded in laughter.

"You're a worthless mutt, sneaking food, breaking rules like a disobedient dog! I'm done with your shit! I've been too nice to you. It's time you were properly trained!" I could only scream out and beg him to make it stop.

~

My eyes shot open and I was surrounded in darkness. I couldn't tell where I was so I bolted in no particular direction to escape the pain I swear I could feel. I fell heavily down on a hard surface. I shook my head from and tried to regain my sight. I could see a man quickly approach me and I cower away. I don't want to feel more pain! Please don't hurt me! I could only whimper out.

I can't hear the words he's saying, I just shut my eyes bracing for the hits and more pain to come, but they don't. I peek at the man and everything came back in a rush. I could recognize it was Kayden. I was in Kayden's room, not the basement. I'm not at home. Relief washed over me, but the memories were still too vivid in my mind.

I watch Kayden's hand reaching for me. Unsure if he was going to hit me or not I close my eyes and braced anyways. I felt his hand brush against my fur and I lower my head. I released my tense body, happy he wasn't going to hit me yet. I move closer to him wanting some sort of comfort, anything in this moment.

I rest my head on his lap hoping to push out the memories of when my pain truly started. Kayden made me feel safe and I was going to openly admit that in this moment. I don't even care about the game that's being played, I just need him right now.

I'm so scared of going back home, I want to stay like this forever clinging to Kayden's embrace. The day this man turns against me will truly break me. I try to move closer to Kayden when the the haunting thoughts pop up. I don't want that to happen. Even if I'll regret giving into the manipulation in the morning, I need Kayden in this moment.

I stayed awake focusing on nothing other then Kayden's heartbeat.

===
It's a slow chapter I know. I had more to it with Josh's pov but it was getting too long and messy, so I'm going to split it. That does also mean the next chapter is already half done (: This chapter hit very hard for me though so I probably dragged it out too much sorry. But I hope you guys enjoyed the update