012

It was the middle of July and everyone was busy preparing for a festival. Isabela was in charge of the flower decorations and luisa with the carrying. Everyone else was instructed to be involved with what they can help with. Mei immediately went to mirabel as she saw her hanging up some lights for tonight.

"Mira, let me help you with that" mei said as she helped mirabel get down.
"Thanks, mei. I dont know if you can reach it though. I was struggling with that." Mirabel replied as she watched mei struggle to reach where the light was supposed to be hanging.

"Even with a chair, you still cant reach that?" They heard a familiar voice from behind.
"Carlos, instead of just watching us struggle why dont you help us for once?" Mirabel said as she rolled her eyes.
"Id rather watch, thanks" he replied as he continued to watch them struggle.

...

A while later, alma walked passed them and saw carlos doing nothing.
"Carlos, if you're not going to help the girls with that why dont you help y/n. Preparing the pots for isabela is quite a handful for just one person." Alma said.
"Sure thing, abuela" he said as he changed his voice into an abuela appropriate one.
"I'd rather help y/n than these two," he said as he turned to mei and mirabel. "Because their always fighting me, abuela" he said and made puppy eyes on abuela.
"Hay, carlos. You never change" abuela said as she walked away.

Carlos proceeded to walk to y/n's shop to lend a hand.

"What a drama queen" mei said.
"Right?"

...

The night arrived. Everyone was getting together and having fun. The center of the town was full of color and life. It was vibrant.

"Let's go mei!" Mirabel said as she pulled her and y/n towards the food stalls. There were foods that mei never even knew existed. They were on a mission to try all of it.

"Let's try that one and that one and that one" mei said excitedly as she gazed upon the different street foods displayed at the stalls.

As she tried every food that she laid her on, camilo walked by while shoving an empanada in his mouth.

"Whoa. Slow down. You might choke or something" mei said.
"What?" Camilo replied.
"I said you might choke if you continue to eat like that"
"Whoa. Dont judge the way i eat, woman. Im not judging you, so dont judge me"
"You might choke"
"Yea yea" camilo said as he proceeded to shove another empanada in his mouth.
"See? Im not choking" he said with his mouth full. He swallowed everything, and sure enough, he was choking.
He started asking for help but he couldn't talk much.

"I warned you" mei said as she proceeded to do the Heimlich maneuver.
"Mei, is he going to be alright?" Y/n asked in a very concerned tone.
"Dont worry. I trained for this moment" mei replied as she continued to do the Heimlich maneuver.

A moment later, a chunk of the empanada flew out of camilo's esophagus and landing on a poor bystander's food.

"And that kids is why you should chew your food properly" mei to non-existent audience.

"We should bring him to mama just in case" mirabel said.
"I'll take him." Y/n immediately replied.
"Okay. Should i come with or?"
"No, its fine."

As y/n took camilo with her to go to julieta, mei and mirabel continued where they left. They bought and ate more food.

...

The night was young, and so were they. The starts shimmered in the sky, giving light to the night. Y/n fixed her hair and lightly dusted off her dress before facing camilo.

"Are you feeling alright, camilo?" Y/n asked.
"Hm? Yea. The whole me choking on an empanada thing isn't something to worry about. So im alright." He replied.

Y/n tried to continue the conversation, but every time she would ask something, camilo would answer shortly, then stop talking.

"Are you interested in someone?" Y/n asked. That caught camilo off guard. It wasnt like y/n to ask those sorts of things to him.
"I dont know about that, but there is someone that caught my attention. You know her really well." He answered.
"Someone also caught my attention. And I've been looking up to him since i dont know when. You know him really well."
"Oh? Is it carlos? I know him well enough i guess" camilo shrugged.
"What? Not carlos. No. Im not interested in him."
"Then who?"
"You. I'm interested in you."
Camilo stopped when he heard what y/n said.
"Me?"
Y/n nodded as she held his hands.
"I like you, camilo madrigal. And i was hoping that you'd like me, too."
Camilo let go of her hands and took a step back.
"Y/n, I'm really sorry but i dont like you the way you like me."

Y/n just remained silent for a second, trying to process the rejection.
"Okay. I think I'm gonna go now. I appreciate your honesty."
"Alright. Be careful on your way back, y/n." Camilo said as he watched y/n walk away.

...

From a distance,
"What in the world are thos two dorks doing?" Carlos asked himself as he ate and watched as y/n and camilo have a conversation.

When the two were finished with their conversation, carlos watched as camilo walked away and y/n crouched in the middle of the street while covering her face.

"What kind of drama just unfolded in front of me?" Carlos asked himself.