Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Finals, Uchiha fight

' Thinking '

" Jutsu "

" Flashback"

" Summoning/ Demon Talking "

" Summoning/ Demon Thoughts"

Previously

It was the day of the Chuunin Exam Finals. The stadium was packed with tourists, daimyos and many other people who had come to watch the great fights that would occur later. There was no empty seat at all in the stadium. Everyone wanted to watch the matches that would take place. Up in the Kage balcony, Third Hokage, Fourth Raikage and Fourth 'Kazekage' were sitting in their seats while waiting for the exam to commence.

By the time nearly everyone was seated, nearly all the competitors for the final exam had arrived at the stadium with the exception of Dosu, Naruto, Kiyomi and Sasuke. Both Naruto and Sasuke were the only ones yet to seem to face their opponents, Gaara.

...oOo...

"All right guys, I'm Shiranui Genma, your new proctor. The rules of the combat are the same as in the preliminaries," the leaf Jounin said. He looked like Mizuki's, except he seemed older, and had a large senbon in the corner of his mouth. "The first match of the Chuunin Exam Finals, competitors Nara Shikamaru and Temari, please report to the arena floor for your match!"

Temari opened up her fan, sending strong gusts of wind in all directions and then she jumped on the fan and floated down to the arena.

Shikamaru looked at his opponent warily. "Troublesome," he muttered as he turned and walked toward the stairs.

Back to the story.

Shikamaru and Temari stood across from each other on the arena floor.

"Contestants, are you ready?" Genma asked, getting nods from both Genins. He brought his hand down. "Begin!" He jumped back.

Temari dashed toward Shikamaru preparing to strike with her fan. The boy merely pulled out two kunai before she jumped and slammed the fan on him. A large cloud of dust took a form, preventing them from seeing a thing. When it cleared, all they saw was a Temari's fan nailed into the ground and the girl staring at it with a dumbfounded look. Shikamaru had nailed the kunai on the wall, and was hanging up with them, avoiding the fan by inches.

"I don't care if I can't become a Chuunin," he said with a shrug. "But a man can't lose to a woman... so I guess I'm in."

Apparently not pleased with the boy's comment, Temari gritted her teeth and swung her fan forward. A gust of wind was sent toward Shikamaru, creating another cloud of dust. Again, Shikamaru wasn't there when it cleared.

Temari smirked, accepting the challenge and shifted her eyes around the arena looking for the boy. It didn't take her long to find him. She spotted Shikamaru hidden behind one of the small trees in one side of the arena, apparently planning his attack.

It was a battle between two very good tacticians, ending with Shikamaru outsmarting Temari and capturing her with his Shadow Possession Jutsu, but due to his fatigue, Shikamaru gave up, giving the victory to Temari.

"Winner is Temari from Sand!" Genma declared.

Shikamaru walked toward his team, leaving dumbfounded Temari behind.