Chapter 21

Chapter 21

The Chuunin Exams: Preliminary

"Thinking"

" Jutsu "

" Flashback "

" Demon/summoning talking "

" Demon/ Summoning thoughts "

"For those who passed, congratulations!" Anko's voice echoed throughout the clearing as she was using a microphone attached to her ear. Her eyes passed throughout the chunnin hopefuls for a second, before looking at both Sasuke and Naruto for a bit longer. The idea of Orochimaru wanting the Kyuubi in Naruto sent chills up her spine. She didn't have anything against the kid, but tempering with the strongest bijuu in existence would obviously lead to terrible consequences. She wondered what the Hokage was going to do with the newly accursed genins. She noticed with a level of sympathy at Sasuke, since the boy was doing the same thing she did on occasions, rubbing the back of his neck to stop the pain from the cursed seal. She snarled at her former sensei for giving his damned cursed seal to the Uchiha and wondered what his intentions were.

Back to the story

"To everyone who has made it this far, I would like to congratulate you on passing the second stage of the Chuunin Exams," Anko started, breaking everyone from their thoughts. "Now I suggest all you listen carefully to Hokage-Sama who will be explaining the third test!"

The Hokage cleared his throat and began to speak, "Before that, I wish to explain something to you; it concerns the true meaning of this Chuunin selection exams, Why do we have all the allied countries taking the exam at the same time, even some neutral countries?" He looked around at all Genins' faces. "To promote friendship among countries, to raise the level of Shinobi, do not be confused, this is exam is...War." He paused accentuating his declaration, the tension in the area increased as some Genins shifted uncomfortably. "If we were to turn back time, at some point, all of us would be fighting the other countries over who would rule. This exam is an alternate that allows us countries to avoid such wasteful fighting. For the third test, Lords and Ladies of all countries as well as the leaders of your countries will all be watching your fights. You will fight with your life on the line to protect not your homeland but its prestige. If your country seen as weak, you will lose clients, the livelihood of a Shinobi. If you are strong, you will gain clients, bolstering your home. If your country shown as a strong country, it will also send a political message to other countries." He took a breath from all talking.

"Then why must we risk our lives? There has a better way to fight for this prestige," Kiba argued.

"The strength of the Country is the strength of the Village, the strength of the Village is the strength of the Shinobi, and a Shinobi's true strength... is only born with life-risking battle," the Hokage said with a serious voice. "This Exam only has meaning because there are life-risking battles. The friendships between Shinobi countries must this and it is as soon as because this that we call it an exercise in friendship. This fight is not just your own, it is a life-risking battle with the prestige of your country in line with your own performance."

He was just about to start talking again when a sickly looking Jounin appeared in front of him. "(Cough) Actually Hokage-sama. (Cough) Would you please let me explain this (Cough) to the Genins?" he said.

Hiruzen nodded and took a step back. The Jounin stood up and turned around. Naruto had to raise an eyebrow at the man's appearance. He dressed in the standard Jounin uniform and had a bandana style headband. However, what caught his attention were the deep bags under his eyes as well as his general sickly look. Is he sick? He should be in the hospital not here.