chapter 42 | anguished

☁︎︎

☁︎︎

Happy.

I feel so happy today.

Yesterday me and Kai read the book together and it was so good.

Today is going to be a good day.

I get up out of my bed and walk to my bathroom to brush my teeth and use the restroom.

Once I get out I go check on Laila.

She is passed out so I just kiss her chubby cheek and leave her in there.

I walk out to the kitchen to see Kai cooking some breakfast and I smile.

"Hi, baby," I say to him and hug him from behind.

He smiles as holds my hands that are on his torso.

Cute.

"You have some mail," he says to me and I smile.

Little did I know my whole world would come crashing down when I read it.

I smile before walking over to the mail and opening it and unfolding it.

To Aulora Madden:

My name is Judge Henry. I have sent you this letter regarding custody of the child Laila Madden. The respectable party that is Sophia Madden, your mother, has requested sole custody of the 9-month old Laila.

There is seemed to be child neglect being involved in this case. It has been said that Aulora Madden has been neglecting the child. You're court hearing will be sentenced at 3:00 on 7/13/22.

Regards,
Henry.

My chest constricts as tears blur my visions and my breath gets knocked out of my throat.

My mother...

Why would she do this to me?

What did I do wrong?

I don't neglect my child.

I love Laila.

She's going to leave me.

My mothers going to take her.

I can't breath.

All I can see is Kai moving frantically infront of me as he pushes my hair out of my face.

I focus on him and my hearing comes back.

"Baby, calm down your okay," he says as I try to stop hyperventilating.