06

DYLAN

DYLAN

It's sophomore year, I just turned sixteen and everything in my life is still pretty sucky

It's sophomore year, I just turned sixteen and everything in my life is still pretty sucky. I feel like I've been sad since the day I lost my parents.

I only know one moment that I was actually happy after that. That was with him.

Riley Matthew. My crush since second grade.

But he's been dating Heather since fifth grade. They haven't broken up once. Kind of weird I guess but if they love each other, then it's all good right?

It's just every time I see them or any other couple... I wish I could have someone too.

I've always dreamed of finding love but I know that I'm not the most desirable, especially according to people at my school.

I try to find peace in being alone. I've become more successful at it over the years.

I stop staring at the ceiling because I know it's probably time to get up.

Jessica is hardly home anymore since she got that job. She's away on business, so it's my responsibility to take care of my sisters and the house.

I get up out of my bed. I still have the same old princess clock on my bedside table. I look at it to make sure that it's not too late.

It's six-thirty. Right on time actually.

I walk upstairs to go wake all three of my sisters up. It's kind of a hassle because most of the time they don't want to wake up.

"Come on Syrah, time to wake up."

Syrah grumbles from under her covers.

"Just five more minutes? Please?"

I act like I'm thinking about it but I honestly can't let her because then we will be late.

"Nope. Come on, get up."

Syrah grumbles again at my request for her to get up. I watch her slowly sit up on the bed despite her unwillingness.

"I'm up. You happy?"