Prologue

Chapter 1: Prologue
Warning: Language

Silence.

Not a sound was heard except the wind that whistled eerily through the trees, casting a foreboding atmosphere around the houses. Or what was left of them anyway.

Nothing could be heard, not even the creatures of the night had anything to say. No crickets sang their love for the moon. No owls flew through the night looking for prey. In the silence, the wind blew consistently as though singing a song for the fallen.

Something was wrong; something was very wrong. The night stood still, not daring to take a breath to disturb the wickedness that was left behind. In the midst of it all, Godric's Hollow stood still, almost too still.

From inside the house at the end of the street, voices could be heard frantically trying to get away from something...or someone.

"Lily, " the man yelled, rushing about the house, trying to find anything he could possibly protect his family with.

"Please, " he pleaded, "take him! Take Harry and go! He's here! It's him! Go-"

The voice was cut off mid-sentence followed by a sickening thud of a body dropping to the floor.

Lily, hearing her husband's last words and the sound of his body hitting the floor, rushed into Harry's room where he lay in his cot. Just moments after she got inside, the door burst open, and inside stepped a serpent-like creature with red eyes. Insane, high pitched laughter echoed through the room, as the man...no creature advanced on Lily and her precious Harry.

"Not Harry! Please not Harry!" Lily cried.

The man in the dark cloak paid no heed to her pleas nor screams.

"Step aside, you foolish woman. Step aside now!"

"Not Harry! Please take me instead! Kill me instead! Just please not Harry! Have mercy please!"

The air went cold, silence reigning once again. Shrill laughter erupted from the man, followed by another sickly thud of a body hitting the ground. The infant starred as the cloak man raised his hand, green lights circling the nursery. Everything turned black and when the infant finally opened his eyes only a rough black cloak and his mother's lifeless body remained. The small child sat crying in his cot, tears running uncontrollably down his face.