Team tornarem pt. 2 - Alexia Putellas

Start from the beginning

"So what does that mean? How long until I can be back on the pitch again?" you question.

"Given the fact you have only been out of the cast for three weeks and have just regained pain free mobility of your ankle, I think we're looking at a timeframe of five months for you to be back running again, four at a push. It all depends on how your ligaments recover and how long it is before you can walk easily" she explains.

"And how long will that be?".

Your heart is hammering in your chest, hands beginning to sweat from the nerves, the anticipation starting to get to you as the doctor sighs, "every body is different Y/N. Everyone heals differently and at their own pace, there is no given timeframe for these things, I can only give you an estimate" she admits.

"Ok. So what is your estimate?" you ask straight to the point, scowling when Alexia squeezes your hand as a warning, "I think you can be walking again in four to six weeks, starting mild rehab in eight and beginning to training again in twelve to fourtneen".

She then leaves you to gather your thoughts, Alexia having never stopped holding your hand, doesn't let go now, in fact she brings it to her lips and kisses the back of it.

"It's going to be ok Y/N, I know you, you will be walking again in three weeks, rehabbing in seven, training in eleven, always one step ahead" the captain explains, "you can do this, we can do this. You're the strongest person I know. Team tornarem, remember?".

"Team tornarem" you repeat.

*

Every day, the thought of being one day closer to playing alongside Alexia again serves as a reminder when you're struggling to get through the day.

Your girlfriend has not once left your side, often staying behind after training to motivate you during your final session of the day, forgoing the chance to go out with the team to stay at home despite your protests and driving you everywhere you needed to go; she had been your rock and everyone knew it.

Alexia didn't have to stay but she did, she didn't have to help you with the most menial tasks but she did, she didn't have to see you struggling to simply walk but she did.

All those difficult moments in the gym, all the hours you've spent crying over the possibility of your career ending or the sleepless nights spent lying awake, thinking about how things would have been different if you hadn't gone in the tackle; had lead up to this one.

Your shirt was on, name printed on the back and your boots felt too big for your feet but most importantly, you were a few seconds away from playing with Alexia again.

"Coming off the pitch number 2 Irene Paredes...".

Irene runs over and taps your hands, bringing you into a tight hug, "to be replaced by number 5, please give a big welcome back to Y/N Y/L/N!".

As soon as you take your first steps back on the pitch, you feel all your nerves drain away, taking a big breath and feeling Alexia's eyes on you as jog over to Lucy, the defender patting you on the shoulder.

"Welcome back kiddo" she smiles.

"Thanks Luce".

*

Somehow, you make it through your first twenty minutes of football and while you are completely exhausted and want to sleep for a week by the end, it was so, so worth it.

Everyone comes round to congratulate you, even the opposition players but there's only one person you want to see, the one person who's been through this as much as you have these past six months.

You sense her before you see her, the captain coming up behind you, hand on your wrist turning you around to face her, "welcome back, mi amor" she smiles, bringing you closer and wrapping her arms around you, "gracias Ale, I couldn't have done it without you" you reply, not wanting to let go and wishing it was just the two of you on the pitch.

"I will always be there for you, cariño. I told you that the day of the final, the day of that doctors appointment and I'm telling you again now" she says cupping your cheek, "you're making it very hard for me not to kiss you" she laughs nervously.

"Why don't you?" you ask and your girlfriend visibly freezes, her eyes darting around the stadium, "what about all these people?" she questions, "what about all them" you smirk, pulling her closer.

"But mi amor, not even your teammates know we're together, let alone the fans" Alexia says trying to find an excuse and you nod, "yes, but I think they've wondered enough. I think it's time to give them what they want".

*