Thirty-Six | Dominos

Harry Potter didn't do what he was told, and as a result, war invaded the walls of Hogwarts.

To give him credit, I probably would've done the same, and whether I liked it or not, he was also the face of hope in the Order. Hope was invaluable in times like these.

We had been together when it all went down, so when the dark lord called off his troops to re-group, we had all made our way to the great hall, where they were bringing in those who had already passed on.

"Well, this is fucking depressing," I muttered before I could help it, looking up at Draco as he nodded along in agreement. "Fuck. I can remember some of these people from my classes, picture them in the halls, we'd pass them every day without a second thought."

I glanced over at Blair as I see there was something that caught her eye. "What is it?"

She laughed humourlessly; "I can tell them apart, I swear. But right now... I can't tell which one died."

"What are you..." I trailed off as I see what she was talking about, as one of the Weasley twins was lying dead on a stretcher, with the other standing over him with the rest of his family in mourning.

"It's... it's Fred. Fuck. Fred Weasley is dead."

I knew that Blair's relationship with George no longer existed after what she had done during her time at Hogwarts this year, he made that clear when they had run into each other once or twice at Andromeda's beach house. Yet, it didn't matter at that moment, that moment where she was so taken off guard, she couldn't even tell which one it was who died.

"Shit," I muttered, Blair still in a bit of a trance as we move on.

"Should I have, like, stayed or something?"

"No, you can talk to him after all of this is over," I told her, before noticing where the other Slytherins were looking; "plus," I added quietly, a cold chill washing over me, "I think we have somewhere else to be."

"Fuck, it's Daphne," Blair realized.

I nearly ran into the back of Pansy as she had stopped so suddenly while everyone else had rushed forward. I clasped her shoulder as I watched her younger sister Astoria cry at her side. "It's just us, our parents are on the other side," Astoria explained quietly, "I... I don't know what I'm going to tell them, she was supposed to take the mar, but it was all so confusing in the beginning. She was hit by a stray curse, her body... it just crumbled to the floor."

I swallowed hard, watching as Pansy knelt next to her friend. "We were best friends... all those years. She..." Pansy began to shake, muttering things that no longer sounded like words before crying out; "what the fuck, Daph! You were supposed to make it through this."

Theo knelt down next to her, holding her steady as she started to rock back and forth, while Astoria reached out and took Pansy's hand.

I studied Daphne's corpse, while Pansy noticed that her body was still warm. "She was alive a few minutes ago," Pansy breathed out, "what the fuck. What the fuck is this bullshit!"

At this point, Astoria had completely dissolved into tears, my hand coming up over my mouth as the raw emotions that death brought began to hit me. On instinct, I reached forward to touch Daphne's pale skin, just to see what Pansy was talking about. "Fuck," I whispered, horrified by the warmth that her bodied still had stored, warmth... that almost made it feel as though her heart was still beating in her chest.

I could feel it, I could hear it, pounding in my ears, I turned to see that her spirit was standing there, staring at herself. I cursed again, blinking to make sure I was seeing things right.