Thirty-One | Saving the Chosen One

I knew it was a bad idea, and there was a very real chance that I'd be killed in whatever we ended up walking into.

Yet, between the silence Draco and I shared we both came to an understanding: that I was going to go, so as a result, Draco declared he wasn't going to help unless he heard me tell him I wasn't.

"Is that what you need to hear?"

He gave me a pointed look, with another argument threatening to ensue. But, instead he nodded, and so I told him I'd stay, before meeting up with Lupin later that day.

"We need Draco's blood," Lupin reminded me after I told him I was in.

"He'll give it," I assured him, "don't worry. He'll give it."

And Draco did, in the end, hand over a vile of his blood. I watched him from the corner of my eye as he hastily gave it to Lupin before joining me as I sat alone at the dining table, my attention turning back to the book I was reading, which was a part of Ted's collection.

"Tell me again," he insisted after a moment, sitting down next to me without looking my way, "tell me you won't go."

"I won't go," I told him without looking up.

He sighed, casting a quick glance my way; "what's the book about?"

I glanced at the cover, and letters engraved into the clothbound; "it's silly. I've read it before."

"Pride and Prejudice," Draco read.

"It's not my favourite of hers," I told him, stubborn about it for some reason.

"Then what is?"

I think for a moment, "Emma, perhaps," I said after some consideration, looking over at him then. "Have you ever read Jane Austin?"

Draco gave me a funny look, and for some reason I laughed. "Fair enough."

"Is it, like, a love story?"

"In many ways, yes," I told him, "but that's not why I like it."

"Then why do you like it?"

"Honestly?" I said, "I like it because it's a woman writing it. I like how women write more than men."

Draco thought for a moment, "I think I do to."

"Really?"

He nodded, "the male author often complicates things just to show he can complicate them. Women, on the other hand, know they're good, they don't need to wreck a book with conventions to prove it."

I smiled, "yes, I suppose you're right," I agreed after a considering it myself. "Though, I haven't read a ton of fiction written by witches."

"Next time we're in town, I'll get some for you."

He looked like he had more to say, but wanted to wait for me to address the elephant in the room.

It took me a solid minute to actually speak up again. "I don't know why I want to go," I finally told him, "I just feel like I have to."

"That's fucking..." whatever he was about to say, he decided against it after seeing the look I gave him. "I'm sorry," he said once he composed himself, "I just wish you could see that I just don't want you to die. That's all I want."

"I can see that. But... I'm not choosing to die, Draco. It's a war, you agreed we'd have to take part in it eventually." Taking a breath, I added; "plus, it was my information that I gave them. I need to see it through myself."

"I'll kill you if you die," Draco whispered, leaning over to kiss my cheek, "do you understand?"

I turned, and kissed him back. "Yes, sweetheart," I said sarcastically, my lip quirking up as I watched him conceal a smile.