Thirty-Four | Home

When we returned, we found our friends drunk, dancing aimlessly to the music that they were playing, with neglected glasses threatening to fall and break as they had been left teetering on the edges of end tables, the tops of cabinets, the floor—some still half-full with booze.

"Well, it looks like we have no choice but to join them," Draco chuckled.

I shrugged, acting helpless to the situation before us; "I guess so."

We ended up crashing that night, right there in the sitting room, which ultimately meant that Draco, Gemma, and I had now been away from the order for more than 48 hours.

"They're going to send someone looking for us," I pointed out the next morning at breakfast, shrinking away from the light that filled the room as my hangover pounded at the front of my skull. "Ouch."

"Same here," Gemma grumbled, shielding her eyes as she demonstrated how she felt my pain. "But yea, I guess we're going to have to come up with some sort of explanation."

"You could say you were captured?" Blair suggested.

"Or," Theo countered, "you could say you were rescuing your friends, who fell helpless to the commands of the dark lord?"

"That could work too," I said, as the others seemed to share a look, "is that... what you want?"

"We talked about it while you and Draco were...out," Blair admitted after a second, "Gemma seemed on board, but, we're more concerned with how we'll be received."

"Even imprisonment is better than this, I'd think, no?" I asked, "at least you won't be asked to do horrible things."

"Depends if they decide to throw us in Azkaban after all of this is over," Theo pointed out.

"Natalia's right."

We all turned to Narcissa as she stood in the doorway, Draco lifting his head upon hearing his mother speak. "Trust me, I'd like my son to stay here with me, but, the others will be returning this afternoon, and I'm not going to drag him back to a life he escaped," she said. "This is everyone's chance to escape, I suggest you take it."

"Doesn't the mark have traceable properties?" Blair asked.

"Well, Draco did it, didn't he?" Pansy piped in, everyone turning to look at him for an explanation.

"It's partly a potion, and partly a... mental battle. The mark acts to bring you back to your 'purpose,' and fights against any decision that goes against the calling designated for you by the dark lord. You probably notice it burning right now."

"It always burns," Blaze told him, "we can learn to live with it."

"Then, the rest can be disarmed through an anti-tracking potion. My mom knows how to make it," Draco said, gesturing to her, "I suggest you learn in the few hours we have left."

The four exchange a look, while Draco, Gemma, and I wait to hear what they've decided to do.

"Well, it sounds like we've got some preparing to do," Theo said, finally breaking the silence.

"That we do," Blair agreed, standing and helping her brother to his feet. "After all, I'm sure the Order won't mind sharing their place with a few more people."

**^**

It had been Andromeda who first welcomed the others into her home, smiling wearily as she knew the commotion that they were about to cause.

"How is your mother, Draco?" She asked, gesturing for us to follow her into the kitchen before anyone else noticed; "oh, you don't mind helping me with dinner, do you?"