Twenty-Seven | Berlin

We prepared to apparate to Berlin next, which was a safe house that resided within the boundaries of the wizarding world.

Though I knew that Draco would never bring us to a place he wasn't 100% sure was safe, I had begun to feel the nerves, like we were about to head right into the middle of things. Of course, at this point, Berlin was still considered neutral ground, the dark lords influence failing to extend so far without one of his supporters holding political office.

So, it was our best chance at the wizarding world, our best option to restock on supplies, to... get some idea as to what was going on. Because, apart from my brief connection with Potter, I had no idea as to what the fallout to Dumbledore's death entailed, all I knew was that the remainder of the school year was put on hold, that the dark lords influence has made it's way into the ministry of magic.

That we didn't know who were on our side.

The safe house in Berlin was apart of an apartment complex that stood a few minutes away from the downtown core. The building was fancy, with a cafe and a bar on the inside, which Draco and I stopped by before heading upstairs, mostly to see what was making the news, and if we could overhear something important.

In the end, the people around us seemed just as lost as to what was going on as we were, unsure as to where they stood in all of this, if their lives were at risk, if they were going to have to pick a side. So, after a drink, we headed upstairs to our room, "it was worth a shot," I sighed as Draco opened the door, "and it was sorta nice to hear that everyone's sorta in the same boat as us."

"Only they aren't being personally targeted by the dark lord," Draco pointed out grimly, his breath hitching as we walk inside to find a certain grey fur-ball waiting for us.

"Loki?" I realized, walking over to see my cat sitting with the rest of our belongings. "What are you..." I find a note attached to his collar, recognizing the handwriting almost immediately. "It's Blaire."

Still hot here, miss you loads.

I wouldn't come home for a bit if I were you, we've been pretty thorough with the search.

-B.

"They must've taken the mark," Draco muttered from over my shoulder as he reads the letter, Loki nuzzling up against my arm to try and get me to give him attention. I cave, and pull him into my arms, kissing his forehead as I move to lie on the bed.

"How did she know where we'd be?" I asked Draco, "if she could figure it out, what if others can as well?"

"It must've been my parents," Draco said quietly, deep in thought, "I'm choosing the safe houses randomly, but... they must know I'm using them."

"And..."

"And it doesn't matter," Draco assured me, "they wouldn't sell me out to the dark lord, at least, not without knowing that no harm will come to me."

"But if the dark lord were to find out they knew where we were hiding, don't you think that he'd offer some exchange? Your life for mine?"

Draco was quiet for a moment, giving me the chance to continue on, "or, what if we somehow got separated?"

"Then that would be bad," he concluded, "as for the rest, I don't know right now, okay?"

"Okay," I agreed, and left it at that.

**^**

Draco wasn't overly enthused with the idea of having a cat around, but, Loki wasn't exactly his biggest fan either.

Though he was a rather docile cat, Loki would still nip at the buttons of Draco's shirt, and would jump on the table whenever Draco was trying to eat, occasionally swatting at his water or fork. So, to me it was that much more hilarious to watch their silent hostility towards one another.