Chapter Thirty-One

I realized that I haven't been able to write a lot of Sokeefe!! Oh my gosh!! Therefore, I will probably write another story with lots of Sokeefe -- and other ships -- oneshots. It is called "Together as One" THAT STORY WILL BE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM THIS ONE!! 

Now, on with this story! 

Was Sophie supposed to hug her, the woman who had the same genes as Sophie? Was she supposed to apologize? Was she supposed to hate her for making her do such a thing?

Oralie smiled. "It's okay, Sophie. Do whatever you want with me." 

All the feelings Sophie had felt a minute before evaporated into nothing as her mom spoke those words. 

"Am I dead?" She blurted out. "I'm talking to you and you're... dead."

"You're not dead." Oralie spoke. "I suppose you could say you are dreaming, but I mean every word I say."

"So... you're not dead?" Sophie asked again.

"I am. But I came back to talk to you." She sighed softly. "You know how elves are mostly immortal, right? They never die, not completely. A part of themselves lives on in one shape or the other. Humans, too. They never die -- they stay in memories of their loved ones and family." Oralie stepped forward, wrapping Sophie in a hug. "Sophie, I'm so sorry that we couldn't be closer when I was alive."

"I'm sorry." Sophie apologized. "I was so stupid."

Oralie got a little misty-eyed as she looked at Sophie. "When I volunteered to be your mother, Sophie, I didn't know if this whole project would work. And I was already part of..." She choked back a tear. "But I didn't like how they ran things. So when Mr. Forkle asked me how it worked, I couldn't help but volunteer myself... Sophie, I'm just like you. I was created to be a spy of the Lost Cities. I, like you, have multiple abilities. I'm an Empath and a Foreseer. And I knew just how much it sucked being different, you know? So I didn't want you to know that I was your mother." She looked away. "I know you're confused. I can feel it. But... it's a long story."

"And I've got time." Sophie said, feeling dumber by the minute for only being able to say that after what Oralie had confessed. 

"You already know half of it. I was the bomb of the Neverseen." Oralie whispered. "And every member in its organization was somehow connected to me, you know? Even if they were killed, as long as I lived on, they couldn't completely die. They could regenerate. But if I died... Well, then all of them would too. I should've killed myself when I had the chance, but all of my childhood was spent with them, and I knew that they each had a good side, even if it was only 1% of themselves. Also... I was a coward. I was scared to die." She shook her head shamefully. "As you may already know, well, I was in love with Kenric. But when he died, it opened up my mind to die too. Somehow, I thought that if he died, I had to die with him. I tried, Sophie. But then I saw you, and how wonderful you were compared to me... Well, it made me want to live to see who you become.

"Let's go back a couple years, when Mr. Forkle asked me to be part of the Black Swan organization. He didn't know that I was created by the Neverseen, and I helped him make you. I was being disloyal to both of the groups, but I didn't care then. If I could live, everything was all right with me." She swallowed a breath. "But... I wasn't supposed to live. I always wasn't."

She turned to Sophie. "If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have had the courage to die. But dying, well, it turned out alright. And I guess a huge reason why I asked you to kill me was because I predi--"

Sophie was cut off shortly, and she was spinning away and away from Oralie, and she couldn't see her anymore or hear what she had to say. She didn't even get to say a goodbye!

Sophie fought against the force trying to pull her away, but it was just too strong, and eventually, she gave up.

"Sophie!" A voice exclaimed. "Are you okay? You scared the living hell out of us!'

She groaned, looking around to see where she was. The bed she was laying on was comfortable. Very big. 

Sophie looked around to see the familiar backsplash, the familiar bathroom, and familiar faces. "Am I in Havenfield?" She asked.

"Yeah. But what happened?" Fitz asked, his brows furrowed. 

"I... Don't know." Sophie mumbled. "I saw Oralie though."

Was she dreaming? Was it all fake, what Oralie had said? It fit perfectly, though. If only she could have heard what she was saying when she flew off.

"You saw Oralie?" Biana repeated, sharing a look with her brother. "Sophie, were you dreaming?"

"Nope. She told me I wasn't dead, and that she meant every word she said." Sophie said, confused if she actually was dreaming. 

"What did she tell you?" Keefe asked, sitting on the bed before feeling her forehead. "Your fever's gone."

So, Sophie told them everything. How Oralie was supposedly the Neverseen's version of Sophie, and how she had two abilities.

"Hold up." Fitz said. "She had abilities of both the Lost Cities and the Hidden Cities. Does that mean she knew both the cities?"

Sophie thought for a moment before remembering something. "Wait, when I went to the Hidden Cities, there was this dude who told me that I looked exactly like 'her.' I obviously didn't know what he meant when he said 'her' but now that I think about it, he was probably talking about Oralie. Which means that... Yes, she knew about the existence of both cities."

"Does that fact change anything?" Marella asked. 

"Not really, but it makes us wonder which city she grew up in." Sophie concluded. "Although she said that she was raised by the Neverseen."

"Oralie was bad?" Dex asked. "I mean, she seems to be like the sweetest person I knew, but..."

"I don't know." Sophie spoke. "I don't know."

Oralie was created by the Neverseen like Sophie was created by the Black Swan? And what did Oralie try to say before Sophie went away?

Thanks for reading!

SilverFox Out