Chapter Twenty-Nine

Everything was blank. 

All the thoughts left Sophie's mind, and she just froze for a fraction of a second -- but soon, the pain engulfed her, and she groaned, twisting and turning. 

She's a good one. A voice muttered in her brain. Lots of potential, but so many burdens. 

Never mind, everyone here is good. Wonderful. The voice said after a minute.

Sophie couldn't comprehend what she was seeing, if her eyes were open at all. Everything seemed too bright and too dark, but she didn't know whether either of those were correct.

Sophie? A voice rattled inside her head. It was so tiny, so fragile, but there. 

Hm? She responded.

Sophie? Can you hear me? I'm gonna assume you can. Where are y-

His voice got cut off shortly as another stronger voice entered her brain. 

Are you willing to cooperate with me for the better? Together, we can all rebuild this world. And if you agree, the pain will end.

Sophie groaned as another wave of electrifying pain raced through her veins.

N... No... Never... A weak voice replied, but Sophie couldn't tell who. Nevertheless, she felt encouraged by it.

Are you stupid? Of course we won't. Another voice chimed in.

Get lost. A third voice joined in.

Yeah, did you seriously think we'd join? The first voice said, gaining more energy.

As these retorts got stronger, syncing as one, Sophie felt warmth grow her body. Feeling energy erupt through her veins, she pushed all the pain away, concentrating on finding the source of all of this.

There was one buzzing energy, one she couldn't quite put her finger on.

Go away, you bastard. The voice said.

Yeah, let us go.

I'd rather not. I'm quite enjoying your company. The deep voice said. 

Sophie pushed her mind over to where the voice was, and pressed hard against it.

Nothing.

It was as if she was trying to go through an impenetrable wall.

Oh, darling, I wouldn't waste my energy if I were you. The voice said, and Sophie knew that she was being talked to. 

Sophie kept trying, though. She did everything she could, but nothing seemed to work.

You're the one who started all of this, right? Sophie asked after a few minutes of trying.

Yes, indeed. It was one of my best accomplishments. The voice said. Unlike my sister, I had succeeded in making the population think of something they never would have dreamed of. Now, honey, I'm sure you're wondering why I would do such a thing. Well, secrets, they're never meant to be kept. It is bound to break -- but who would do it? That was the question. And the answer was right in front of me. Myself.

Oh, so you're a self-centered bitch? A voice sneered.

Now now, I wouldn't phrase it like that. She said. And it is for the world.

Where are we, exactly? Another one asked.

Nowhere. Everywhere. In the middle of reality and... the end.