Chapter Thirteen

About six months passed since Sophie came back to the Lost Cities, but she kept the news about the humans a secret. She didn't know why or if this was the right decision, but she never found the right time. 

The days since she came back had been as busy as hell. First, she had to figure out where to stay. Edaline and Grady offered to let her stay at Havenfield, but all her friends were now living outside their homes, and she didn't want to be the burden of the family. 

So, she found a nice house in the middle of a forest overlooking an emerald lake. It was mostly Charlotte's pick, but Sophie loved it too. It had crystal windows everywhere, letting in natural light. The door was made of oak wood, making it hard and durable. 

Also, the space. It was at least ten times bigger than the house Charlotte and Sophie lived in in the Forbidden Cities. 

Sophie had invited her friends and family over. It had taken a while to get everything straightened out, but once it was complete, the place was magical.

A knock on the door told Sophie someone was here, very early. Hours early, even.

She opened the door. "Welcome in, the pa-" She stopped talking abruptly. Two stern-faced councilors glared back at her. 

"I see we weren't invited to the party." Alina said, barely moving her tight lips. 

"Oh, well, uh," Sophie stammered. 

"Still a pile of a lying snobby cheat, I see." Emery spat. "We, unlike everyone else, are very ungrateful of your return."

"Murderer." Alina said. "You are no longer welcome here in the Lost Cities."

"You killed-" Emery started, but then, Charlotte came out. 

"What? Mommy ishn't a killer! Go away, shtop talking." She said. 

"Oh, tell you what, she is." Alina smirked. "Your precious mommy is a murderer. Killed one of us. Good day to you, dear." 

She smiled and leaped away. Emery quickly followed. 

Sophie sank down to her knees. What they had seen, what they think they know, it's a big, fat misunderstanding. 

The thing had never meant to happen. 

But she, the sweet, caring, and cute, woman, was the bomb. 

And bombs need to burst in order to be harmless.

Sophie had no choice to do the inevitable to the bomb. 

But the Council had seen the inevitable happen. No wonder they weren't trusting Sophie now. She had tried to beg. Explain what had truly happened. But they refused to listen. After all, the truth couldn't be changed. She would never come back from the dead.

Sophie put her head between her knees, rocking back and forth. Charlotte sat down next to her, very quietly. She felt tears streaming down her face. She couldn't stop. 

"Foster?" A voice gently said from above. "Are you okay?"

Sophie felt someone sit down next to her, wrapping her in a hug. He muttered something about "not supposed to be here" but kept her close. 

Why was he here? 

Oh, right. The party. 

Sophie jolted up. "Ohmigoshwhathaveibeendoingthecakeisn'treadyyetitprobablyburned!" She took a shuddering breath and a sob. The tears didn't stop, no matter how hard she tried to wipe them away. 

"Charlotte, can you do me a favor and go upstairs to change for the party? I got you a dress." Sophie distinctly heard Keefe say beside her.

"This is so pretty! Thank you so much Keefe!" Charlotte squealed, then raced upstairs to change.