A night of vivid dreams

Start from the beginning

"How did you know I was here?"

"A guard told me that you've been here all night, and your car is parked right out front. He asked me to make sure that you're all right."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome, dear. Now, is everything all right with you?"

"Yes, why?"

"Well, the last time you'd spent the night here was when you and Kayla had that serious conflict."

"Erm..., we still have that problem. I'm working on permanently solving it."

"I see."

"Hey, Michelle?"

"Yes?"

"Have you ever had dreams that didn't feel like that? Have you ever dreamed about something that felt like a reality, so much so that you could touch something and feel it on your fingers?"

"Not really. Why?"

"Nothing...I think I just had one of those."

"That explains the smile on your face while you slept. You looked genuinely happy, Dominic. It was a pleasure seeing you like that."

"Yeah, I guess it was a beautiful dream, if only I'd remembered what it was about."

"I'm sure it'll come up eventually," she said and walked out. He rubbed his eyes and moaned. So it was a dream, after all. Unfortunately.

He stood up and went directly to the kitchen, filling up the kettle to the limit. What was this, he wondered. It wasn't supposed to be so...so real. He could put his both hands in the fire that he was with Anya on his office couch. That was a scary thought, dream or not. He will have to do his best to start acting like her boss, during the working hours. Later...well, he'll think of it when the day is over.

On his way out he nearly bumped into Anya. Had he not wrapped his arm around her waist, they would have fallen on the floor. She laughed, not giving it any significance.

"How is the project doing?"

"Fine, I'm deciding upon two cover ideas."

"Do you need me to come over and see?"

"I'd prefer if you come over at the end. I'm still not happy with the way it looks."

"All right, as you wish. But you will meet me for lunch, right?"

"Just as we've agreed, Dominic. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to work."

He let go of her and smiled as she walked to her office. Yes, she will be mine, Dominic vowed to himself, for a reason he couldn't explain. She has to be mine.

                                                                                                 ****

While Dominic slept in his office, Kayla was pinned in front of the computer screen. The man that she wanted to talk to was there. She sent him a message.

-He wants a divorce.

-What? Why?

-It's the other woman.

-Is it really that serious between them?

-It must be. I don't see any reason why he would so suddenly insist on a divorce.

-Did he find out about you not wanting to have a child?

-No, he couldn't have. I never told him that. The only thing I keep saying is that now it's not the right time. I actually wanted to talk to him tonight, about the possibility of getting pregnant, but he insists on a divorce.