Chapter 9 "Uncle Sam Needs You!"

CHAPTER 9

                                                                             "Uncle Sam Needs You!"

June 25th, 2040: Yokota Airbase

Inside the headquarters operations room, four-star General Ronan Wolf paced back and forth, watching nearly a dozen operators staring at their computer screens. He looked back up at the main screen as it changed every few seconds to show a different CIWS camera.

"Come on people, someone has to have something." Only silence followed Wolf's words. With growing frustration at the ever-pressing situation, he reached for his radio.

"Warhorse to Galaxy." He hoped AWACS could give him something--anything really.

"Galaxy to Warhorse go ahead." A young male voice returned.

"Galaxy, have you seen anything on primary radar?"

"I did about five minutes ago but now it's dropped. Haven't seen anything since."

"Copy, continue monitoring. Warhorse out." With clenched teeth, Wolf walked out the room and almost straight into Brigadier General Karl Perkins

"Perkins, what's the news?"

"Washington has been informed but due to a communication cockup, it was relayed as an attack."

Wolf could only let out a breath of frustration and held his nose. It was one problem after another. First it was the transfer, then the former slaves that some of the patrols brought and now this unknown radar contact. Before Wolf could utter another word something stirred up everyone in the operations room.

"General you need to see this!" Someone shouted. Wolf along with Perkins complied. On the main screen, they saw one of the CIWS had spun around and was now pointing to something high in the partially clouded sky, making macro movements to follow it.

"Turret seven has locked onto something but our radar can't see it for whatever reason General. Orders, sir?" One of the closest operators to Wolf asked.

"Use the radar from that phalanx to aid ours. We should then be able to spot it." Wolf waited with anxiety as they performed his order.

"Ok and... Got it!" All heads snapped to a side screen that had a shared radar. A green dot appeared.

"Wow it's slow, could be biological?" Perkins watched the green dot move with the speed of a snail on ice.

"Most likely, but we need to confirm--" Wolf was interrupted with the camera jumping to another phalanx gun spinning to the sky.

"Turret six just locked! General, whatever this thing is, it's coming this way." Another operator turned to Wolf.

"Have we been able to identify it?" Perkins scanned the room but as expected, no one answered. "What about AWACS?"

"They've tried every known communication frequency. Nothing but static." An operator replied from across the room. This was starting to get interesting.

Wolf opened his mouth but was quickly silenced by an alarm. Everyone snapped their attention to the main screen where another phalanx gun had locked.