Chapter 8.5 "Better Bushwhack The Jungle"

Start from the beginning

"We've been fucking out here for five fucking days and all you can do is fucking complain! So yeah, I'm getting fucking tired of it!" Walker yelled. At this point, Joseph tried to force himself between the two.

"Woah calm down Sargent! We are on the same side here! I'm sure Cameron won't do it again, right?" Joseph glared at the now fearful private.

"Y-yeah--I mean, yes Sergeant!" Cameron barked, making Walker release him. Walking over to Daric he grabbed the compass and his knife.

"Rotate." He growled before using excessive force to cut down some vines. "Fuck this fucking jungle! I swear once we get out of here I am going to burn this place to the ground!" With that, Daric turned to the other two who just shrugged it off.

"We should find somewhere to set camp soon, it's about to be sundown and I don't like the look of what clouds I can see." Daric pointed above them, dark gray clouds roamed overhead.

"Great, rain. What next, bigfoot?" Walker sneered.

Not long after Walker had started, his boot slipped on a piece of moss, nearly causing him to fall. Looking down at his feet, the grinded away moss revealed what looked to be a brick or some stone that was too rectangular to be natural. Grinding away more of the moss revealed more of these supposed bricks.

"Are we on a road?" Walker questioned while trying to find the edges of it.

"If it is, whoever built it doesn't use it anymore given the moss and vegetation blocking it." Joseph knelt to examine the bricks.

"Think we should follow it? Maybe it leads to a village or something?" Cameron proposed with mixed reactions from his comrades.

"I'd rather not but we don't have much of a choice here, I say we do it." Leaning on the massive root of a tree Daric scanned their surroundings. "Man, this place gives me the hebejebes."

"Well, Cameron it was your idea, lead the way." Walker smirked at Cameron who now had a dejected look but didn't dare argue.

"All right then, we go...north!" With no rhyme or reason, Cameron started down the old path to... somewhere.

Fighting through the overgrown foliage, the gang continued along the path, having to stop at points to dig at the ground to make sure they were still on track. With the sky turning a light orange and the jungle floor getting ever darker Cameron quickened his pace, but immediately stopped when his knife hit something hard, causing a heavy thud.

"The hell? Hey guys I think I found something." Cameron turned to the rest who all immediately readied their rifles with Walker moving to Cameron's side with Caroline, his best friend and favorite shotgun. Tearing away the vines and leaves revealed wooden planks, worn and rotting. Searching around Cameron found what looked to be something that once could have been considered a handle, now reduced to a rusted nub.

"Is there a damn house out here?" Daric took a couple steps back to examine the wall in front of them. Sure enough, looking closer there were indeed windows and even a brick wall in front of them which had been completely overtaken by nature. It was near impossible to get an accurate scale because of it. Cameron turned his attention back to the supposed door and stared at what used to be the handle.

"Damn, Welp, plan b." Cameron took a step back then kicked the door; only to have his foot go straight through the rotten wood with the rest of him following shortly after.

"Oh shit!" Cameron yelped while face planting onto the floor, now covered in splintered wood. He looked back to see his comrades were on the floor laughing their collective asses off.