****

Ian's POV

Opening the car door was the only way I could get away from her even if it was only for a moment. Her smile. Everything about her. I couldn't handle it.

What is wrong with you, Ian Trace?! She is engaged for God's sake! Remember the rules.

As we walk side by side into the main entrace of Jericho company, I can see from my peripherals that she is trying to keep up with my long strides. I know I shouldn't care but I can't help it. So I slow down a little bit for her to catch up.

I curse mentally at my actions.

Minutes later, we are ushered by the receptionist into a small conference room where I'll be meeting with Ryan, the CEO of Jericho company.

I motion for her to take a seat while I make sure to sit far enough away from her, at the head seat of the rectangular table. About five minutes later, Ryan walks in.

"I hope I didn't keep you waiting for long, Stefan." Ryan says with a smile as he extends his hand for a handshake. He is one of two people who finds pleasure in addressing me by my middle name. I stopped caring about his choice of names a long time ago.

"You didn't. You know I prefer being early." I shake his hand and before I take my seat, he turns to Safiya.

"And who is this gorgeous woman?"

I watch as Safiya clears her throat and extends her hand to Ryan.

"I'm Safiya, Mr. Trace's Personal Assistant."

Ryan takes her hand and plants a kiss before releasing it.

"And I'm Ryan, Stefan's good buddy and business partner."

Then he turns to me, "I didn't know you were hiring a Personal Assistant, Stefan." Then he adds after stealing a brief look at Safiya before turning back to me. "And dare I say she's lovely."

"I need the help. It doesn't hurt." I say to him.

"Oh Stefan, Stefan, as reserved as always." Ryan says and then occupies the empty chair to my right, a few seats from Safiya. I fight the temptation to change positions. But knowing Ryan, that would only encourage him all the more.

"Let's get down to business, shall we?" I say to him and his look immediately becomes serious.

About twenty minutes later, Safiya and I are walking side by side back to my car. But as soon as we get closer to where it's parked, I notice her stride has become slower. I turn around to her, I shouldn't ask her but I have to know.

She is making me violate all my rules. I curse under my breath as I begin to speak.

"Are you okay?"

I wait as she slowly looks up to meet my eyes, and then quickly looks away like she is trying to hide something.

I walk closer to where she stands, and she is still looking away. As I draw closer, I notice her eyes are now closed.

What's happening here?

****

Safa's POV

I had to look away and quietly blow air from my mouth. It's the only thing that can keep me standing visibly until I take another sip of my tea.

I carefully breathe in and out as Mr. Trace approaches me.

Then I turn to face him.

"Are you okay?" He asks again. And without even a thought, I say to him,