Chapter 6

Safa's POV

Saucy Porka seems bigger than the last time I was here. The restaurant has always been my favorite, with its asian-latin mix and vibrant ambience.

I scan the big room and for first time today I feel truly grateful. There's something about the restaurant that, like Anna, seems to remind me that I can stay here longer.

So human.

My eyes fall on Ashton and I walk to where he is already seated. As soon as he sees me, he gets up and pulls the chair across from him, and waits for me to sit before occupying the chair in front of me.

He smiles at me as he says, "I hope you are hungry because I am starving!"

I give him one of my practised smiles and say to him. "I'm definitely hungry. Especially after that interview." I blow air out of my mouth as a look of confusion forms on his face. And I know what that means. I sigh as I try to focus on the menu. I could care less if he cares enough to ask me how it went or not.

"Oh, yeah. The interview." He says. And then I continue to focus on the menu. Maybe I'm being too human, and he is more in touch with his supernatural powers and seems to lose touch with reality, I don't know.

But It is definitely annoying when he forgets.

"How was the interview? I'm sorry, Safiya. A lot has been on my mind lately. I'm sorry I forgot."

Truthfully, I've gotten used to him offering his cheap apologies because I just know it'll happen again. Ashton only boasts of one thing: And that is his powers.

And he isn't afraid to risk letting people know.

"It's okay." I begin to say to him. And then I add, "It was good. Really good. I hope I get the job."

Then I watch as a smirk forms on his face.

"You know my offer still stands, right?" Then when I don't give a reply, he adds, "Just in case." Then he raises both hands up in the air, "I'm just saying." He shrugs.

I mentally roll my eyes and I am about to say something when the waiter walks up to us.

Why is he just coming to attend to us?

Ashton motions for me to go first and I tell the waiter I would like some tea with no ice. Ashton raises his eyes to look at me briefly with a familiar look, and then turns and gives the waiter his order.

We both opt for the asian paella.

As soon as the waiter is gone, Ashton begins to speak again, "you know you don't always have to order tea right?"

I fight the temptation to say something harsh towards him. I know exactly what he is driving at but I choose to not give in. Then I watch as he does it again, displaying his powers without a care in the world.

I give him the look that says "you know you don't have to showcase your powers everywhere, right?" I know he understands what I mean, but, just like typical Ashton, he ignores me.

Then I watch as a mere pointing of his forefinger commands one of the napkins to rest in front of me. I roll my eyes as he continues, removing one napkin after another until there are five pieces of napkins in front of me.

Then he relaxes back on his chair and looks directly at me as he points his forefinger again and does the same thing in front of him, five pieces of napkins resting on his side of the table.

I slowly look around, wondering why the waiter hasn't come with our drinks yet, at least. That's when I realize no one in the restaurant is moving.

Of course I should have known that Ashton would use his time-stopping powers. I turn around and face him again, and that smirk begins to form on his face again.