Chapter 8

No, it can't be.

Yes, there is a resemblance, but Safiya can't possibly be that little girl in my dream. I haven't even met her before the interview that Monday. I must be going crazy. I need to figure out the meaning of my incessant dreams before I go completely crazy.

"Okay. Tell Angela to get the conference room ready for 10am." I finally say to Safiya who seemed to have been waiting patiently for my response.

"Okay, sir." She responds and writes something on the notepad she had brought out from inside the blue folder. Then I watch as she adds, "is there anything else, sir?"

I look away from her to my notepad.

"Here. Have these files ready for our meeting at nine. We'll be leaving at 8:30am sharp." I say to her as I give her the notepad I had been writing on earlier. She nods and gets up, and when she is about to walk to the door, I stop her,

"Safiya."

She turns quickly to meet my eyes and I swear it looks like her eyes are glowing, like a ray of light is shining through them.

Is she even real?

I clear my throat to wake up my senses. I can't be caught staring at her like this again.

Ever.

"Don't be late. I hate tardiness." I finally say to her.

"Yes, sir." She says quietly but confidently with that smile of hers. And then she turns to leave.

As soon as the door closes, I release the breath I didn't realize I've been holding.

Then I swirl my chair around to face the glass window behind me, staring straight at North Wabash Avenue, the Trump Towers standing strong before my eyes. I close my eyes briefly as a thought begins to take shape.

That ring on her finger, I can't possibly ask her if she is married or not. That will raise suspicion. There is only one way to find out. I swirl my chair back around to face my table, and then I rake my left hand through my hair as I ring the front desk on the twentieth floor.

"Sir." Jenny's voice comes through to the phone.

"Jenny. I need the applications of Monday's candidates on my desk. Come straight to my office with them."

There is a pause on the other end, and then a quick "okay, sir. I'll be on my way now."

I release a sigh of satisfaction as I smile inwardly. Surely I couldn't possibly have asked her to only bring Safiya's application.

Then I force my mind to concentrate on the work in front of me.

And about seven minutes later, there is a knock on door.

****

Safa's POV

As soon as I get back to my desk, I begin to work on the files Mr. Trace had given me.

Thankfully, it's only seven separate documents so I know I should be done with them in no time. As I begin reading the first document, I feel strange. I ignore the feeling because it's only my first day so maybe some of the nervousness is still there.

Then after a few minutes, I am halfway done. I can feel a ray of light on the paper in front of me and then a sparkle on my right hand holding the paper.

Then my heart begins to race. I know exactly what this means.

No. No. Not here, please.

I put the paper aside for a moment to get my cup of tea.