009

"You can't save someone who isn't ready to be saved."

I couldn't get Phoenix out of my head

I couldn't get Phoenix out of my head. I tried, but I can't. Seeing those lash marks on him, and him repeatedly lying to me about it, I just can't shake the feeling that something is wrong. I just know it.

After being friends with him for so long, experiencing every emotion with him... I just know something is up with him.

Even when we're upset at each other we don't lie and we definitely don't pretend to be fine. We never have. So the fact that now he's being vague and distant and abnormally sad, something is going on with him that he's refusing to tell me.

If he was telling me the truth, I wouldn't be breaking in to his house to see him right now, something I've been doing since I was a child. I'm sure by this point the guards have just turned a blind eye.

I climb in through the kitchen window. Phoenix has been leaving it unlocked for me for as long as I can remember. I step on the marble counter before shutting the window softly for the sake of his dad. I don't know if Jaime is home or not, but he's a grump that I'd rather not run in to.

I hop off the counter onto the floor and make my way upstairs to Phoenix's bedroom. It takes a while considering the sheer size of the mansion. I always said there should've been an elevator in this place. It's so huge it's ridiculous.

I walk down the dim hallway and come in contact with his door. It's closed and most likely locked. There was never usually anything interesting about a bedroom door, but his is starting to become beaten down. Jaime must've not seen it yet because if he had, he would've replaced it right away. The biggest thing for Jaime was image. And though he would never allow anyone up to the third level in his house, he didn't care. Everything needed to be perfect.

I knock on the door and wait to be let in. After a few minute of standing in silence and not hearing any movement on the other side of the door, I knock again. "Nix, it's me. Open the door." I say softly, twisting on the handle as I found it unlocked.

I flick on the light to find him curled up on the middle of his bed. He was sleeping, but it didn't seem very peaceful. The closer I got I could see how tense he looked in his face and the way he was squeezing the sheets in his hands so tightly. Why won't he just tell me what's wrong?

I slip off my shoes and climb into the bed next to him. I don't know if he can feel the pressure of me climbing in next to him, but immediately he curls tightly into my side and grips on to the hem of my shirt. I lean back against the headboard as he lays his head on my stomach.

"I thought I told you to leave." He mumbled out, sleep still evident in his voice.

"That was earlier today. It's night outside so what you said doesn't count anymore." I replied.

"Says who?"

"Says me, Nix." I whispered. He opened his mouth to say something, but decided against it, and sighed.