Chapter 20

A/N: For those of you who read HFL and were disappointed at not receiving a picture of Ilsadora's most trusted companion, I present: Alistaire!^^^

Viviana felt her heart miss a beat. The world seemed to freeze before her eyes.

"That's... not possible." She said weakly, her magic retracting with her shock. "Princess Isabelle was born to King Silas and Queen Magdalena. You cursed her out of jealousy, because the King had an affair while you were still married. Then Maldeena fought you and exiled you here."

A sneer carved into Ilsadora's face. She flung herself away from Viviana, allowing her to drop to the floor.

"I should have known that you would be fed lies by that hideous cow."

Viviana propped herself up on her arm, sneakily reaching her magic for Jeanette and Santiago while Ilsadora was distracted. "What are you talking about?"

"Maldeena Nightblood never professed to be a good witch." Ilsadora said quietly. "But I thought she was a true friend. How wrong I was, after jealousy consumed her heart."

"I don't know what you mean." Viviana murmured, buying time as Santiago and Jeanette started moving away from Ilsadora.

Ilsadora was not given a chance to explain. A man burst through the staircase, blocking the only escape route. And Ilsadora turned just in time to see Jeanette and Santiago move.

"Lady Ilsa!" The man called in warning. "What are you doing?"

Ilsadora had raised her hands, likely to attack, but she halted at the man's words. He was wearing a powder blue cloak to protect himself from the cold and a pair of earmuffs held back his long blonde hair.

Jeanette and Santiago scrambled, hiding behind him as he took several steps closer to Ilsadora, walking past her to help Viviana to her feet.

"I was not informed that we had guests." He grinned, the smile somehow not at all forced.

"Alistaire." Ilsadora grumbled through gritted teeth. "They are trespassers."

Alistaire waved a hand dismissively. "They're teenagers, Lady Ilsa. And I bet they went through a lot of trouble to get here to see us."

"We thought you were going to kill us." Jeanette blurted. "Everyone in Nazeen seemed to think you would. And then when you came out of nowhere and froze us and started fighting Viv, I thought they were going to be right."

Viviana facepalmed behind Ilsadora's back.

Way to go, Jeanie. Now she'll go back to being livid. Not that she stopped.

Ilsadora looked like Jeanette had struck her.

"Kill you?!" Alistaire looked unnerved. "Lord Orion, no! Where would you get that idea?"

"Maldeena has brainwashed an entire nation to fit her new rule." Ilsadora's mouth was set in a hard line, and she distinctly wasn't looking at them. "I knew I'd have no friends in Nazeen, but she has crossed a line with her lies."

A wretched, tense silence descended, with Viviana, Jeanette, and Santiago glancing awkwardly between Ilsadora and Alistaire. Thankfully, Alistaire picked up on their unease.

"Well, I think we got off on the wrong foot." Alistaire said gently, a look of concern directed at Ilsadora. "How about we start greetings over and talk things out over some cocoa? Something tells me everything will be a lot clearer once we get the story straight."

***

Viviana tapped her finger against the rim of her cocoa mug nervously.

Ever since Alistaire had appeared, Ilsadora's demeanor had greatly changed. She'd become quiet and subdued, allowing him to do most of the talking.