chapter nine

Vinnie picked his phone up once he was at a red light, dialing his moms number. He wouldn't be doing unless he was absolutely desperate, but at this point he was desperate.

M: Hello?

V: Mama, I need your help.

Vinnie immediately got teary eyed at the sound of her voice, praying she didn't hate him as much as he thought did.

M: Baby what's wrong?

V: Can you keep Bear and Kaiser for a few weeks? I know that's a lot to ask but I'll pay you and explain when I get to your house.

M: Bring them over. Don't worry about paying us. How far are you?

V: I'm 10 minutes out.

M: I'll see you in ten minutes. Don't cry okay? Everything will be fine.

V: Okay, I'll see you soon mama.

He sighed in relief as he hung up the call. Looking in the back seat, he found that Kaiser and Janelle were asleep but Bear was awake and looking out the window.

Once he arrived at his parents he opened the door for Bear. She got out, waking Kaiser up and letting him out of his seat. Meanwhile, Vinnie grabbed the duffel bag and Nelly's carrier.

He walked inside, setting Nelly's carrier gently on the ground so he wouldn't wake her and immediately hugged his mom.

"Honey what's wrong?" Maria asked.

"I'm scared mommy." Vinnie mumbled into her hair, closing his eyes tightly to avoid the tears but it was no use.

"Tell me and dad why you're scared." Maria said, not letting go of him until he was ready.

Once he was, he sat on the couch. He explained everything to them, especially how he didn't want his kids around her right now.

Nate looked over at Bear and Kaiser who were cuddling together on the love seat, sound asleep. He knew from how scared his son was and the way they looked like they were finally at peace that they had to take them.

"We'll keep them." Nate said, turning his head to make eye contact with his son, who immediately stood up and hugged his dad tight.

"Thank you!" Vinnie said, relaxing into the hug when he felt his moms nails rubbing his back soothingly.

——

Vinnie eventually left after leaving kisses on the kids head, whispering he'd be back tomorrow to come see them.

He took Nelly back out to the car, buckling her in. By now she was awake and a little bit whiny cause she was hungry.

"We'll be home soon okay baby? Mama will give you milk when we get back." Vinnie said, kissing her head.

He got in the car, driving back to his house.

——

"Where the hell were you?" Aaliyah asked as soon as he walked through the door with Nelly.

"I took Bear and Kaiser to stay somewhere for awhile until everything is calmed down. Nelly's hungry." Vinnie said, giving Aaliyah the carrier.

"To your parents house? Is that where they are?" Aaliyah asked.

"No, they're at their mothers house." Vinnie lied, never in a million years would he leave them with Emily, he'd let the kids meet her and know her as their mom, but it was better than telling Aaliyah where they actually were.

"Whatever, I'm sure as soon as we don't live together you'll start fucking her again." Aaliyah said, leaning back on the couch to nurse Nelly.

"No, I won't. I'm over her." Vinnie answered, taking his shoes off.

"You said that last time." Aaliyah scoffed.

"Please stop, I don't need to be reminded of all of that shit. Besides, the problems between us have nothing to do with Emily." Vinnie said.

Aaliyah rolled her eyes but still dropped the subject. She continued to feed Nelly until the baby fell asleep.

"Are you ready for bed?" Vinnie asked.

"Yes." Aaliyah answered shortly and harshly.

"Okay, I'm gonna sleep on the couch tonight. Give you some space. Goodnight." Vinnie said as he watched her walk up the stairs.

He turned all of the lights off in the lower level of the house. He grabbed a blanket and a couple pillows, curling up on the couch and falling asleep.

(y'all might hate me for the way i ended it 🙃)