chapter eight

Vinnie pulled up in the driveway, completely confused when he saw police cars in the street in front of his house. He got the kids out of the car, carrying Nelly inside and deciding to go back for the groceries.

"Are you Vincent Hacker?" The police officer asked as he walked inside.

"I am, is everything okay? Is my girlfriend alright?" Vinnie asked, the carrier still on his arm.

"She's fine sir, she called us stating that you had kidnapped her daughter, Janelle." He informed Vinnie.

"I- Can you repeat that?" Vinnie asked.

The police officer was cut off as Aaliyah ran up, taking the carrier from Vinnie's arm and sitting in the floor with her daughter, fake concern crossing her face.

"She called 911 stating that she came home and couldn't find anyone and that you were not answering her messages." He explained.

"I sent her a text message to tell her I was leaving and that I'd be back once I was done grocery shopping." Vinnie said, pulling his phone from his pocket with the permission from the cop to reach into his jeans pocket.

He unlocked his phone, willingly handing it to the police to let him scroll through the messages sent that day.

"Well then I guess I have no reason to be here then. Let us know if you need us." The officer said, placing Vinnie's phone back in his hands.

"Thank you sir." Vinnie said.

He glared harshly at Aaliyah before turning and walking out the door. He collected the bags from the car after several trips and put everything away, refusing to let her help him. Once he was done, he turned to her with a glare on his face once again.

"You called the police on me? You realize how dumb you just made us look? I fucking texted you to tell you where I was going and that I was coming back. Why do you have to make things harder for me?" Vinnie asked.

"Because you weren't answering me at all Vinnie. I texted you over and over and you ignored me." Aaliyah argued back.

"Because I was pissed Aaliyah, I didn't want to talk to you at the moment. I wanted to calm down and not blow up over a dumb argument. I don't know what your problem is, but that little girl is my daughter too and I love her just as much as I love Bear and Kaiser. If you don't quit with this bullshit, I will not hesitate to go to court and get full custody of her because you're acting fucking insane." Vinnie said, picking Bear and Kaiser up in his arms.

Aaliyah protested against everything he said, but he ignored her. He told his children to put their shoes on and they followed him upstairs. He packed them some clothes and a couple of their favorite toys in a big duffel bag.

"Daddy what's going on?" Bear asked.

"I'm gonna see if you and your brother can stay with Papa and Grandma for awhile? I don't feel safe with you guys being here." Vinnie answered her honestly.

"Can we take our new toys with us? I know that's probably a stupid question." Bear's voice trailed off at the end.

"Nothing you ask me is stupid Bear, of course you guys can take your toys." Vinnie said, looping the duffel bag over his body and picking his kids in his arms. He felt more comfortable carrying them right now.

He walked down the stairs and took his keys in case she tried to lock him out. He put the bag in the car and buckled the kids in before walking back inside.

"Give me my daughter." Vinnie said, holding his hands out.

"What? No! She just got home, I want to see her." Aaliyah argued.

"I'm not doing this with you right now, give me my daughter." Vinnie instructed, taking her from Aaliyah's arms as soon as she outstretched them for him to take her.

"Where are you going?" Aaliyah asked.

"All you need to know is that I will be back with Janelle by tonight. I don't want to risk you running off with her." Vinnie said, walking out the door before she could answer.

Vinnie put his daughter in the car, handing her one of the new toys she had gotten at the store so she wouldn't be fussy.