chapter six

"Where mama go?" Kaiser asked.

"Mama is at home baby." Vinnie answered.

Kaiser gave out a sad little whimper and it broke Vinnie's heart. It broke it because he didn't know what the future was with Aaliyah and Kaiser was so used to her. Without her, he'd have no mother.

It went beyond just that. Vinnie practically threw everything away for her, just so they could be together and now it was seeming to him that he had given it all up for nothing. But right now, he couldn't worry about that. He needed to focus on the step in front of him and not the entire staircase. Right now that step was getting his children dinner back and making sure they knew he loved them.

"What do you guys want to eat?" Vinnie asked.

"Chicken nuggets!" Kaiser yelled, his entire mood flipping at the mention of food.

"Where baby?" Vinnie asked.

"Mendy's!" Kaiser yelled again.

"Bear, do you want Wendy's?" Vinnie asked.

"No." Bear answered.

Vinnie frowned, peering at his daughter in the mirror while at the red light. She was right here but seemed so far away. She didn't make eye contact and only looked down at her lap.

"Honey, you do know that what she said wasn't true right?" Vinnie asked.

"Yes it is." Bear mumbled.

"We'll daddy wouldn't lie to you." Vinnie said, trying to convince her that she wasn't what Aaliyah had said.

"I don't wanna talk about it daddy." Bear said.

"Okay baby, but you have to eat dinner okay? What do you want?" Vinnie asked.

"Chicken nuggets kids meal." Bear answered.

Vinnie smiled at her through the mirror, earning a small smile back from her. He looked back to the road and pulled into Wendy's. He ordered everyone, including his girlfriend, food for dinner.

——
Vinnie walked in the house with the Wendy's. Bear followed him as she held Kaiser's hand while they walked. Walking into the kitchen, he found Aaliyah nursing their daughter. He placed her food in front of her without a word.

"Thanks Vinnie." Aaliyah spoke softly.

The only response she got was a "mhm". He completely ignored her as he put Kaiser in his high chair and cut up his chicken nuggets and fries. He gave Bear her food as well.

"Can we talk when the kids go to sleep please?" Aaliyah asked, speaking softly so the kids wouldn't hear her.

"Sure." Vinnie replied flatly.

——

"Are they asleep?" Aaliyah asked.

"Yeah." Vinnie answered, looking in the closet for a pair of sweatpants to wear to bed.

"I'm sorry." Aaliyah said, tears bunching up in her eyes when he turned and just stared at her.

Silence filled the room and neither of them spoke. Vinnie only stared at her, debating whether or not he wanted to forgive her.

"I just didn't realize how hard being a parent of 3 kids was." Aaliyah said.

"At this point, as much as I hate to even say it, you're a parent of 1 kid." Vinnie said, kicking his pants down and putting the sweatpants on.

"Don't say that Vinnie, I love Bear and Kaiser like they're my own children." Aaliyah said.

"Are you sure you mean that? Because ever since Janelle was born you haven't been treating them like you love them." Vinnie said, continuing to move around the room.

"Do you expect me to automatically know how to distribute equal amounts of love to each of them when I have my own child now? I'm new to this." Aaliyah argued.

"Then if you can't love them like you love Janelle, then you don't love me like that either. To love me means you love my kids. All three of my kids. The four of us come as a package deal and if you can't love all four of us at the same time then I don't know what to tell you." Vinnie said, trying not to scream at her.

"Well I had no idea that coming into this meant you came with so much baggage." Aaliyah shot back, aiming for his weak spot.

"If you're implying that my children are the baggage, so help me God I will go to jail tonight. Do you not understand that I'm not going to stand here and play about my kids, my own flesh and blood. If you couldn't handle a relationship then you shouldn't have given me your number, let alone walk up to me at the school that night." Vinnie yelled, completely failing at set control.

"Maybe I didn't want a relationship." Aaliyah yelled back.

"Then what did you want?"

"I thought you were hot, I wanted to fuck Vinnie." Aaliyah yelled, regretting her words as tears filled his eyes.

A wave of sadness hit him like a hurricane. The knowledge of her just wanting to fuck him this whole time and leave made him sad. She had led him on for almost two years.

"Baby I didn't mean that."

"Yes you did. You meant every word of it." Vinnie sniffled, stumbling back into the dresser when she tried to reach for him.

"I didn't Vin, I-"

"My name is Vinnie." He cut her off.

Aaliyah nodded, sitting on the edge of the bed and staring up at him. He couldn't look her in the eye. He wouldn't.

"I want you to go to the courthouse tomorrow and file for child support. I'll pay it. I'll find somewhere to stay so you don't have to deal with me and my baggage anymore." Vinnie said, walking out of the room before she could protest.