chapter 10 ➸ it's a shame

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I think I still owe you something," Camila smirked and took both of Lauren's hands, pulling her away from the stove and closer to her.

"Where were we? Oh yeah," she giggled and stood on her tiptoes so their faces were only inches apart.

"One," she whispered, leaning in and capturing the older girl's lips in her own.

Lauren quickly caught up, placing her hand on the small of Camila's back and pulling her even closer. When the kiss broke, Camila pressed their foreheads together and rested her arms on Lauren's shoulders.

"I could get used to this," she giggled. Lauren's cheeks turned red, which made both girls laugh softly. Both girls leaned in for another kiss but were interrupted by the beeping of the stove timer.

"Dinner's ready," Lauren smirked against Camila's lips, pecking them one last time before turning back to the stove and moving the pan off of the burner. Camila sighed heavily, causing Lauren to giggle with her back turned to the smaller girl.

"Can you grab three plates?" Lauren asked, glancing back at Camila. The girl nodded and handed three paper plates to Lauren, who scooped equal amounts of food onto each one and carried them over to the table.

"Chris, dinner!" she called. Camila laughed when the younger boy immediately came running into the room, nearly falling into his chair. All three of them started eating, and they were all so hungry that the room fell silent.

Lauren had finished most of her meal when she checked her phone and cursed under her breath. She pushed her chair away from the table and quickly stood up, grabbing her bag from the floor by the door. Furrowing her eyebrows, Camila got up and followed her.

"Where are you going?" she asked cautiously. Lauren turned around, biting her lip and glancing back at the door.

"Work," the older girl mumbled, reaching for the doorknob. Camila's heart dropped in her chest and she grabbed Lauren's hand, pulling her away from the door and shaking her head.

"Please don't go," Camila glanced back in the kitchen, but Chris had already finished eating and she heard the TV click back on in the living room. "Lauren, please," she added for emphasis.

"I have to," Lauren's voice was unwavering. Camila shook her head and held tightly to Lauren's hand.

"Please don't," she sighed, squeezing her eyes shut. The thought of what Lauren had to do just to provide for herself made her sick to her stomach.

"Camila, stop," Lauren pulled her hand out of Camila's grip and placed it on the doorknob. "I have to. Otherwise... I just have to."

"You don't have to, Lauren," Camila took a step forwards and shook her head slowly. "You can stay here, I-I..." she thought for a moment. "Yeah! You can stay here. We can put a bed in the office for Chris, I mean he practically lives there anyway, and... and..."

"Camila.... that's—,"

"Please," Camila whispered, her eyes welling with tears. She quickly turned away to hide her face but Lauren noticed. The green eyed girl was suddenly filled with guilt.

"Camila, I didn't mean to make you cry... I..." she sighed and shook her head. Having someone care this much about her was a completely new feeling.

"I just don't like... you going out there, and just... it's scary," Camila stumbled over her words and she wiped her eyes. "I'm sorry... I don't mean to be difficult," she whispered. Lauren quickly shook her head and grabbed one of Camila's hands in her own.

"Do you really want me to quit?" she asked, biting her lip anxiously. Camila nodded slowly.

"Okay," Lauren sighed and ran a hand through her hair. She couldn't remember the last time she'd done something just because someone else had wanted her to. But this was Camila, it was different. She really liked Camila.