Chapter 9 : The Black Eye

Start from the beginning

After a few minutes, they all stopped laughing "since you have finally stopped, how did Mingi put down the ladder and disappeared right after it?" Asked Hongjoong eying the three infront of him "oh that, I threw the ladder from the trapdoor and came back immediately to San and Yeosang" Mingi explained smiling at Hongjoong "ok and what about the cannonballs?" Hongjoong continued "we have enough to bring down two marine ships and defend ourselves incase we got attacked" San said standing firmly in front of Hongjoong "good, now you two go help the others unload the baggages and Yeosang and Valerie" he said shifting his gaze between a confused Yeosang holding his book in his left hand and pointing at himself with the other and a scared Valerie "you two follow me to my cabin and Valerie bring ALL your belongings with you" Hongjoong ordered heading towards his cabin leaving his crew wondering what he wants from these two.

Valerie sighed and went to get her bag from the cabin she is using currently.
After gathering her things and putting them in her bag, she took her compass, book and map out thinking where she should hide them, she is still not ready to tell them the whole truth about herself, she still needs more time to give them all her trust.

After hard time of thinking, she started searching for a place to hide them without anyone noticing it, she looked over the shelves Yunho has his books on, drawers that has medicine, medical herbs and tools for surgerys in them and the cabinet.

While she was searching the drawers in the cabinet, she felt like there's an empty space hidden underneath the last drawer, she pushed the back of it and it opened to reveal an empty space that it could fit her stuff.

Valerie heard footsteps coming towards her, so she took them quickly and put them in the drawer and closed the cabinet before this person arrives.

When the door opened, it revealed a head popping from a small crack "are you done?" Asked Yeosang "yes, I have finished" Valerie answered, she was sitting on her bed relieved that he didn't doubt in anything, she stood up and followed Yeosang closing the door behind her making sure that no one will find her magical stuff.

They left heading towards Hongjoong's cabin, Yeosang knocked three times before opening the door "I knocked" he said walking in with Valerie behind him earning a sigh from Hongjoong "well, sure you did" he said sarcastically.

Hongjoong cabin had a bed on the right, a desk with a chair facing the door and shelves that has lots of books in the opposite side of his bed.

Hongjoong was sitting on his chair with maps and books infront of him on his desk, he stood up and took the maps and books and put them on his bed "both of you come here" he motioned them to come closer to his desk "I didn't do anything yesterday because everyone wanted to have fun but I have to check on what you have and decide if they were dangerous on my crew or not" he said standing behind his desk, crossing his arms and leaning on his left feet "if that's the situation then, what did you call me for?" Yeosang asked "I want to check her sword" Hongjoong replied "her sword?" He questioned frowning his eyebrows "what's wrong with it" he asked "could you take it out?" Hongjoong asked her, she nodded and unsheathed it from its sheath and placed it on the desk.

Yeosang took the sword in his hands and looked closely at it, he was stunned at his place unable to speak "so it's true, this is one of the five elements" said Hongjoong earning a nod from Yeosang "yeah, how did you get it?" Yeosang asked taking his eyes from the sword to Valerie "my teacher gave it to me as a present" she answered him bluntly "why do everyone keep asking me the same question?" She asked annoyed at the repetition of the same question "Because it was destroyed 50 years ago" Yeosang explained confusing her "what do you mean it was destroyed?" She asked still confused "I think it's a story time" Hongjoong said sitting behind his desk and signalling both of them to sit on his bed.

Yeosang put down the sword on the table and headed towards the bed with Valerie behind him.

After they sat down Hongjoong sighed and started talking "50 years ago, there was a pirate crew that was famous for their cruelty and theft, one day, they broke into the holy land of immortals and stole this sword" he said pointing at the sword infront of him "after a week from the incident, the marines caught up to them close to the Erebus ocean, they couldn't escape, so the captain ordered them to go into the ocean, but it was a bad decision because there was a huge storm, the biggest one you could ever imagine, as a result of that, the ship was destroyed and no traces were found behind it's crew, and Anguirel, the sword, disappeared with the crew and their ship"

Valerie didn't know what to say, she has never heard this story from Jack, it was clear that this pirate crew was Jack's "what was their name?" She asked looking directly at Hongjoong "The Black Eye pirates" he answered "rumours say they were named like this after their captain, because they believed he had a black eye darker than the night sky and the other eye is blue" he explained making her even more confused "what is wrong with having two different eye colours?" She asked "well, there's nothing wrong with it, but having blue eyes means that you are cursed" Yeosang explained "their captain originally had two blue eyes and that terrified his parents, so they casted a spell on him to make his eyes black, but no one can make a perfect spell except for The Shadow Coyote clan, so the spell only worked on one eye and the other stayed blue".

Silence filled the room, Valerie didn't know what to say after hearing the story, she is still confused after hearing the full story behind her sword and questioning why Jack didn't tell her about the sword or his eyes.

"Now you know why everyone gets surprised when they see the sword" Hongjoong interrupted her thoughts by clapping his hands "may I see what's in your bag?" Hongjoong asked looking at her "sure, go ahead" she gave him the permission smiling at him.

Hongjoong stood up from his seat and grabbed her bag, Yeosang and Valerie stood up too and came closer to the desk "still need me in something?" Yeosang asked him "hmm, I don't know, but stay here to identify the magic stuff she might carry" Hongjoong said sarcastically "it was one thing and it's an old sword, how am I supposed to know it was legendary" she shrugged her shoulders and crossed her arms "that's exactly why I need him to stay here" Hongjoong said smiling at them, Valerie sighed and lowered her shoulders then started taking out her stuff one by one.

The first item was an old pocket watch,
It was rusty and didn't work.
The second one was her vintage writing set, it had a feather, ink and a small notebook, Hongjoong opened her book, it was written in Latin "you know Latinos?" Yeosang asked "yes" she answered in latin which made them surprised "now we have three members who can speak latinos" Hongjoong said smiling "who are the other two?" She asked "me and Seonghwa" Yeosang answered her.

While Hongjoong was still looking in the bag, he found the plants she got from the unknown island "what is this?" He asked holding one of them "it's a poisonous flower I found on an unknown island in the Erebus ocean" her answer surprised them "I don't know what it's called, but I know for sure its poison" Hongjoong then put it back from where he got it "you should be careful with these" Yeosang said warning her "I know" she said.

The next items were a pistol and a blade, the blade's handle had a black colour and on the guard was a purple gem and the pistol was old, it had scratches on it "all your stuff are old and have scratches on them" Hongjoong pointed "well, my teacher gave them to me and he is old" she said shrugging her shoulders "your teacher, did he teach you everything you know now?" Yeosang asked "yes, he taught me everything I know now, more like he raised me since I was 2" she answered holding two fingers, Hongjoong and Yeosang hummed in understanding.

The rest of her belongings were clothes and some jewellery "there's nothing suspicious in your stuff" Hongjoong said putting a hand on his desk "you can take them back to Yunho's cabin" he said assuring her that she can rest now "thank you" she said smiling at him "but you are the one who pulled them out, so why don't put them back" she said annoyed that she'll have to pack them back "fine, I'll clean up" he said holding his hands up beside his head in surrender and Yeosang started chuckling at his reaction.