Lloyd and his Father's Love (Lego Ninjago)

Lord Garmadon never expected to be a single parent.

Well he supposed no one ever did, he could not imagine someone foreseeing the events to such occurring.

But a single parent he was regardless.

He was not sure what exactly had led to this situation, but a week ago he and Misako had tucked Lloyd into his crib and gone to sleep in their bed and in the morning she had been gone when he woke.

At first he had thought nothing of it as he waited in bed for her to return, thinking Lloyd must have been fussy without him hearing it and she was with him.

But that was proven false when a long time passed and he eventually walked the short distance to the nursery and saw his precious son alone and still asleep peacefully.

Denial had set in at that point, he searched the small cottage for his wife, but she was no where to be found, even her most precious belongings were gone.

Garmadon was not sure whether he was more sad or more furious with Misako for just up and leaving him and their year old son without a word.

Though, he could guess what had been the final straw for her, what had been long coming.

He had started to listen to the venom in his veins, had hinted at his desire to gather the four Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu.

Or perhaps it was the pitch black color that was creeping up his limbs —it had started with the pads of his fingers and toes but every day it just began to take more ground until now it looked as if he wore long gloves and high socks.

Ever since that fateful day where he had been bitten by the Great Devourer, every moment —awake or not— had been spent fighting off the venom.

It had been easier to fight it when he had been young —so determined to be good— just as it had been when he had freshly fallen in love with his wife and yet again when Lloyd had been born.

But listening to the evil in his heart was always a matter of when and not if.

And recently it had become an itch instead of its usual whisper, one easily ignored at first, but it just kept digging and digging and digging until the skin was raw and it caused him to pierce the flesh within.

He had tried to keep his evil act relatively tame for his family's sake, but apparently that had been enough to drive Misako away —knowing he was too weak to fight the venom forever.

Garmadon sighed as he put a hand on the nursery doorknob, entering it where his sweet Lloyd was looking up at him.

Lloyd's red —the left— and green —the right— eyes stared up into Garmadon's own red ones, his mouth that only had just a lone of bottom tooth pulled into a smile.

"It's just us now, little one." The brunet said, his voice slightly strained

"Da!" Lloyd babbled, kicking up a chubby leg

"That's right, Lloyd, you still have daddy." Garmadon agreed, picking him up and carrying him to the changing table, "And daddy is not going anywhere."

Once Lloyd was all cleaned up and in a fresh onesie, Garmadon looked into his son's mismatched eyes again and smiled for the first time all week.

Lloyd was worth every heartache.

***

At two years old Lloyd was fully able to cause chaos without trying.

For his father anyways.

Garmadon watched as Lloyd ran about the small baby-proofed cottage, dragging his favorite stuffed animal —a dragon who had obviously been well loved seeing that it's head was all but decapitated since the blond toddler held it from there—, Pluh Pluh, who had been named after its purple color.