Chapter 22 - packing & promises

*y/n pov*

It was 1 week before EJ left for college. I was feeling all types of emotions, but I think I'm finally going through acceptance. I'm going to miss him a lot, but we had an amazing summer and I'm ready to let go. We're going to try to date long distance, and hopefully it will work out. I'm praying it will work. I drove to his apartment to help him finish packing.

I drove all the way to ej's apartment and screamed the lyrics to the Up All Night album by One Direction

I drove all the way to ej's apartment and screamed the lyrics to the Up All Night album by One Direction. RIP One Direction.

I finally made it to ej's and unlocked the door. He was on his phone, probably on TikTok - he's addicted to TikTok. He looked up at me, ran over, and lifted me up. He kissed my lips, "I missed you, I missed you, I missed you!"

"Hey, babes." I laughed, as he set me down and I gave him a kiss. "We did just see each other on Saturday."

"Yeah, but it's been a long 2 days." He chuckled. He grabbed my hand and kissed my forehead. He brought me to his room and we started packing. He honestly could pack his entire room because it was so small, so we basically did. All that was left was his bed, desk, and a few sweatshirts for me. Everything else was ready in the Uhaul for EJ, his dad, and I to drive to Duke in a few days. I start school in 2 weeks, so I had sometime to help his adjustment at Duke. After 2 hours of packing, and listening to Olivia Rodrigo unreleased songs *pretend Nini and Olivia rodrigo are different people lolzzz*, we finally finished. EJ shut off the music and gave me a hug, "thanks for the help, sweetheart."

"You're so precious." I blushed.

"You too, in fact, you're so precious that I have the confidence to do this." He grinned, getting down on one knee. What is he doing??

"EJ-" I grimaced.

"Y/n, look, I love you-" he started as I gasped. We haven't said that we love each other yet. "-and I'm not proposing. I'm not crazy." He chuckled. I let out a breath. Thank goodness, I thought I've been dating a psycho. I'm still 17. "I just wanted to offer you this." He said, opening the velvet box to reveal a small silver ring with a small emerald on top. My birthstone. It was beautiful. "It's a promise ring. We're obviously way too young to get married, but I love you, y/n. You're beautiful, talented, kind, and the best girl I've ever met. I would love to marry you, but we aren't ready for that yet. So, it would mean a lot if you wore this ring. For the time being." He smiled lightly.

I felt tears lightly going down my face, "that's so sweet, eej. I love you too." I said, accepting the small ring and smiling. "You're amazing." I said as he stood up, dipped me, and kissed me on the lips. I smiled, "I love you, I love you, I love you."