Chapter 24

People belonging to the clans stopped counting the days since the commencement of the war; the time duration never mattered especially when kin witnessed kin die, directly or indirectly because of the choices all of them made.

Darkness or light, angel or demon, heaven or hell; the process of death is similar in every case. Death doesn't discriminate.

The reason behind this entire thing was almost forgotten by the general public; at this point it was either the lust for blood or the need to survive.

The Battle of the Royals would either end this war or aggravate it beyond control; that wasn't something anyone cared about. After losing to a point of being left alone in the world, a person either stops fighting or starts to fight recklessly.

The streets across the lands were quiet contrary to the state of the areas these past weeks. Every commoner knew better than to step out of the safety of their house when a battle between the royals was to happen.

The lands were bare of any life or signs of that. Shops, businesses; everything emptied by the rival clan. Nobody bothered to pick up the bodies. With an unimaginable number of bodies per day, it was indeed hard to differentiate between a Berretta and an Archfiend.

The Battle was under a façade of being an ounce of clarity but really was a way for petty rich people with privileges to let out their frustration on the other clan.

The angel followers wanted 'justice' for their empress and their second in command.

The darkness wanted revenge. Revenge for their baron, revenge for their second in command being accused of doing something he didn't do.

The lands were covered in blood the moment Talini Berretta uttered her lie; without a care for consequence, both clans were ready to annihilate whatever came in their way to end the other clan.

A lie told to protect what was left of her, her sister.

A lie told to honor the promise made to her lover.

A lie told to selfishly keep her will to live closer to her.

Abdiel's decision to hide facts from his brother added fuel to this war fire; without a care for consequence, both clans were ready for vengeance.

A decision made to keep his brother safe.

A decision made to avoid a situation like the one in action.

A decision made to not completely lose his brother to rage filled insanity.

Seraphina watched closely as Talini checked and re-checked all the guns she had managed to keep with her.

"You're kind of the main reason behind this war so everyone fighting from the central council has strict instructions to prioritize your safety above everything." Talini said.

"You're the empress; you'll be the first target, so shouldn't your safety be their priority?" Seraphina asked as the sisters walked through the tunnels hidden by the hill.

"You will always be a bigger priority Sera." Talini said.

Seraphina remained quiet at the statement. Her sister's admission wasn't exactly new to her, in fact the only thing that is keeping her composed in this situation caused by her sister is that very fact; Talini was just trying to protect her, like always.

"You're sure about this right?" Talini asked after some moments of silence.

"Yes, not the most ideal situation I must say but it's better to fight beside my family than sit in my room and receive news of death."