❤︎ Chapter Nine

Thoughts swirled in Merdius mind, the whole scene that happened between him and his mother replayed in his mind. The feeling of Blair's arms wrapped around him kept him from spiraling out of control. She brought him comfort and he was thankful for that.

Suddenly, his horse started to run aimlessly snapping the prince from his thoughts. "Angus!" The boy shouted, trying to calm him. But he stopped, causing both Blair and Merdius to fly off of him.

Angus neighed, trying to tell the two to get away from where they landed. Merdius groaned, rubbing the back of his head. "Are you okay?" He asked Blair as he quickly helped her up and checked her for any injuries.

The young girl rubbed her sore arm as she nodded. "I'm fine Mer." She smiled, reassuring the prince. She noticed Angus acting weird and anxious before glancing around at the scenery. Her eyes widened, nudging Merdius to look.

The duo stood in the middle of the Ring of Stones. Merdius glanced at Angus before he noticed a faint blue light. A soft whisper beckoned him to follow. The young Prince gasp as he started to follow the wisps, forgetting Blair was with him.

"Merdius!" She called out. She couldn't see the wisps of course. This wasn't her fate to follow. But she followed the young Prince anyway, making sure he didn't get lost nor get himself hurt. "Come on Angus!" She called back to the horse, who hesitated before following the pair. Of course he didn't like having to go deeper in the dark forest, but he needed his owner.

Merdius kept following the wisps as the two behind him followed behind him. "Where are we going?" Blair asked curiously, not knowing where they were.

"Uh- just follow me." Merdius said softly. Eventually, the wisps disappeared. "Why'd they lead us here?" He mumbled to himself as he stared at a small cottage.

"Who?" Blair couldn't help but ask but her question was ignored when Merdius decided to open the cottage door. She followed him inside, awing at the wood carvings of bears scattered around the place.

A thump was heard behind them, causing the pair to quickly turn around. An older lady, short and pudgy, was making more wood carvings. "Oh! Why look around!" She said, her voice high and creaky. "You holler if you see anything you like! Everything is half off." She offered, smiling at the pair.

"Who are you?" Merdius asked, confused as to why the wisps had led him here. He glanced around the shop, uncomfortable from the amount of carvings of bears scattered about. He turned back to the old lady who was now sweeping the floor.

"Just a simple woodcarver." The old lady stated cheerily as she kept sweeping the floor. She watched as the two looked at the carvings. Merdius started to speak but the women grabbed a couple things to show him.

"But the will o' the wisps led-" Merdius started but the lady kept interrupting him. The Prince knew something was sketchy. The wisps led him here for a reason.

Blair cleared her throat as she crossed her arms against her chest, watching the lady shove carvings into the princes face. "Now-" she said, gaining the ladies attention. "You aren't just a woodcarver, are you?" She asked, eyebrows raised. The young girl wasn't dense. She's met a few witches when she was younger, but not this one.

The old women nervously held up more wood carvings, hoping to distract the two. "No. Nothing more." She said, not noticing her broom was sweeping on its own.

"Your broom! It's moving on it's own." Merdius shouted, pointing towards it.

The old women snapped her fingers to make it stop and fall to the floor. "No thats silly. Wood cannot be imbued with magical properties. I should know... I'm... I'm a whistler of wood!" She denied.